[solved] Audio problems after fresh install of MP 1.13 (1 Viewer)

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have set up a new HTPC with Windows 10 and MP 1.13 some days ago (see HTPC 2 in my system specs). I have troubles with audio over HDMI to the TV. The audio for Live TV is working flawlessly but the audio for MKV files does not work at all, only on some occasions. It was working until this afternoon but now ther eis no sound, only the picture. I am asking for your assistance here. Please see attached logs. As I watch MKV files via Moving Pictures and MP TV Series I could not disable thos plugins for log creation via WatchDog. Also the Mute Button does not work with my MCE Remote and RC6 receiver but I do not think it is related.

Thank you

Cheers

Blue Max

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here's the problem:
    [2016-02-15 00:26:34,555] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - DirectshowUtil. Failed to add filter:Default DirectSound Device to graph :Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80040256 mscorlib bei System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.BindMoniker(IMoniker pmk, UInt32 grfOpt, Guid& iidResult, Object& ppvResult)
    bei System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.BindToMoniker(String monikerName)
    bei DShowNET.Helper.DirectShowUtil.AddAudioRendererToGraph(IGraphBuilder graphBuilder, String strFilterName, Boolean setAsReferenceClock)

The error code 80040256 means VFW_E_NO_AUDIO_HARDWARE:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375623(v=vs.85).aspx

Seems like you can play MPEG 1/2 audio, but not DD/AC3.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

thank you for your reply. The PC itself can play AC3 as the built-in video software of Windows 10 can open and play MKV flles with AC3 5.1 just fine. I did that yesterday evening when MP did not want to play the MKV files. I just opened the MKV file with the video palyer that comes with Wndows 10.

HD Live TV does work well and in most programs there is AC3 sound included.

I will just reinstall MP1 to see if there is something broken. Weird thing is it did work the last days just like it should.

Also if MP1 still has a problem after reinstall I will try out MP2 to see if this is a MP1 problem with my hardware. This is the first time I am using an integrated graphics adapter from Intel. All the years I have been running a passive Nvidia graphics adapter with a HDMi connection to the TV without problems.

Also just for your information: I am running a DD Cine S2 V7 TV card (new revision over V6.5) which is very new and not even listed on the Digital Devices website. I run it with drivers that are not listed on the website also. I got it from the shop I bought the card. It works very well with MP1. The Cine S2 V7 has a new chip which can decode HEVC data streams from satellite. Just to be future proof :D

Cheers

Blue Max

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, but that does not mean that MP is actually selecting the AC3 stream. In the logs I saw such a case, and MP selected the MPEG 2 stream.

I will just reinstall MP1 to see if there is something broken.
    Personally I think that is a waste of time. If I were you, I would check the LAV audio codec settings.

Weird thing is it did work the last days just like it should.
    So what has changed - Windows update installed, configuration change, driver update...???
    Problems don't just start for no reason.

The Cine S2 V7 has a new chip which can decode HEVC data streams from satellite.
    I'd be surprised if that is true. Digital tuners don't decode the video or audio streams. They just pass the streams to TV Server's TsWriter -> timeshift/record file -> MP's TsReader -> codecs decode -> renderers -> show/play. Most likely any DVB-S2 tuner would be fine.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assume, that you have configured a wrong audio renderer in MP, Win10 or LAV-Audio. Could you please check these settings? If you have a HDMI connection PC <-> TV, you should setup your PC for audio passthrough.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, but that does not mean that MP is actually selecting the AC3 stream. In the logs I saw such a case, and MP selected the MPEG 2 stream.

O.K.

I will just reinstall MP1 to see if there is something broken.
    Personally I think that is a waste of time. If I were you, I would check the LAV audio codec settings.

O.K., I basically left them alone after installation. But I will check them again this evening.

Weird thing is it did work the last days just like it should.
    So what has changed - Windows update installed, configuration change, driver update...???
    Problems don't just start for no reason.

True. As this HTPC replaces the one in the living room I tested it on another TV which is 'not productive'. After everything worked O.K. I switched it with the old HTPC in the living room. Meaning it is now attached to another TV. Windows updates have been done right after installation of Wndwos 10 and after that MP installation was doen and it worked 'out of the box'. No driver update. But from your above list I have now another TV and another HDMI cable attached to this HTPC. I will check the cable this evening.

The Cine S2 V7 has a new chip which can decode HEVC data streams from satellite.
    I'd be surprised if that is true. Digital tuners don't decode the video or audio streams. They just pass the streams to TV Server's TsWriter -> timeshift/record file -> MP's TsReader -> codecs decode -> renderers -> show/play. Most likely any DVB-S2 tuner would be fine.

Sorry, I had it wrong. The Cine S2 V7 is faster and can cope with data streams up to 180 MB/s per channel, This seems to be necessary for Ultra HD via satellite. The card is smaller and consumes less power than the V6.5, There is website now -> https://digitaldevices.de/products/dvb_components/cine_s2_v7/

Just wanted to say it works well with MP1 as a feedback to you as you are working in this area on MP.

I assume, that you have configured a wrong audio renderer in MP, Win10 or LAV-Audio. Could you please check these settings? If you have a HDMI connection PC <-> TV, you should setup your PC for audio passthrough.

I will check that. Audio renderer in MP is LAV Audio using the Standard Direct Sound Device. In Windows 10 I disabled the onboard Realtek Audio and I am using the Intel HD Graphics Audio over HDMI. I have no AVR just a plain connection to the TV via HDMI. The TV has built in speakers. I will double check LAV Audio settings with my old HTPC. As it is the same setup only using a Nvida GT520 graphics card instead of an integrated Intel HD Graphics. It worked for 5 years on this TV so I see no reason the new HTPC will not do the same.

It worked with the other TV and I did not change LAV behaviour after the switch to the TV in the living room but I will check LAV settings. Also it worked with the TV in the living room after the switch until yesterday afternoon. Then it stopped working and only sporadically did work. I tried the same MKV files. Both are with AC3 5.1 sound. Mostly no sound but on rare occasions there is sound. All without changing the LAV configuration between tests.

Also it seems not to be hardware related as the built in video player of Windows 10 played the MKV files yesterday evening just great.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Blue Max

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Halleluja,

I solved the problem. It was an fast, easy and completely illogical fix: I installed the drivers for the onboard Realtek HD Audio chip which I do not use for the HTPC.

The problem is, this mainboard is in that respect different to all I ever had. I am building my own PC since 1993 now and I have some experience in building and installing. But this one I did not see coming. During the last years I have switched to ASRock boards and I have accustomed to their philosophy of building mainboards. The first thing I did after building the HTPC and updating the UEFI was to disable onboard sound as I do for HTPC and Servers because it is not necessary for operation.

In the coupe of days I have connected the HTPC via DVI to a monitor without sound. After installation and configuration of MP I connected the HTPC to the spare TV for further tests before going productive in the living room. There I found out I had no sound at all. After some fiddling around I decided to switch on the onboard Realtek Audio in the UEFI just ot see what happens. And you know what: the Intel HD Audio started to show up in device manager too.

After some days of testing (including AC3 sound over HDMI by MKV files I know that have only one AC3 channel) I decided to switch the HTPC and I connected this one to the TV in the living room. At first it worked then there was only sound on Live TV. Today after reading your replies it got me thinking and thefirst thinag after return from work was to isntall the Realtek HD Audio driver. And suddenly the Intel HD Audio had AC3 and DTS sound over HDMI. I checked with special test files.

This is illogical.

So for the Forum search: if you want to use the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac mainboard for HTPC appliance (as it has a 4K/60p HDMI output) then switch on onboard sound in UEFI and install the Realtek HD Audio driver although you never need it.

Problem solved.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Cheers

Blue Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom