Australians and Newzealanders - please help :-) (1 Viewer)

Herr R aus B

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, there, down under :)

As I am planning my world trip (september - November 2012) actually I have some simple and some maybe not so simple to answer questions:
    • AU: What would be the avarage fee from Sydney Airport to Sydney downtown by cab?
    • AU: Close by Sydney should be some "Koala Hospital" I saw a report on the other day, but cannot find on the net. Does anyone have information about that and whether a avarage plain toruist might be allowed to visit?
    • NZ: What would be the avarage fee from Christchurch Airport to Christchurch downtown by cab?
    • NZ: What would be an avarage fee for B&B (can be simple, shoulf be ensuite) or a lodge on say a camping area for a single person on the northern Island and would it be recommended to make reservations in September/October? I just have experience in Scotland (slightly far away, but Empire at least), where it was OK just to call up for reservation the same day. Travel agencies here just dont know much about that - they merely focus on rather expensive B&Bs and hotels - the latter are definately too expensive in NZ (as everywhere else, I assume).
    Answers, hints on special "touristy" things shall be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

Axel

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    Hey mate ( or should that be G'Day Mate? ),

I can help you out with the AU questions you have, but not the NZ ones.

• AU: What would be the avarage fee from Sydney Airport to Sydney downtown by cab?

Depending on the time of day you arrive you're probably looking at $30 or $40AUD. If you arrive during peak hours ( from say 7am-10am or 4pm to around 7pm ) you're going to get stuck in traffic which will naturally add the cost up.

The other option is the train which costs around $16 and will drop you at Central station ( in the CBD ) or you can switch trains/grab a bus/jump on the light rail to go further out if you need to. The station is right underneath the terminal so you grab your luggage ( assuming you have more than carry on ) and go down the escalator and you're on the platform. Train wait times can be annoying sometimes, but generally they're pretty regular ( I think the schedule is every 10 or 15mins, but it's been a while since I've caught it ). Just ask where you're staying what the closest train station to them would be, as you may find it easier. Are you staying in the city?

• AU: Close by Sydney should be some "Koala Hospital" I saw a report on the other day, but cannot find on the net. Does anyone have information about that and whether a avarage plain toruist might be allowed to visit?

Hmmmm... can't say I know of any Koala Hospital. There's the Wildlife Sydney in Darling Harbour ( http://www.wildlifesydney.com.au/ ), which is in the CBD. They offer you a chance to dine with the Koalas, but not sure if they have any kind of hospital.

The only other thing I can think of is the Koala Park out at Castle Hill ( http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/ ). This may be a hassle to get to you if you're in the CBD and don't have a car. I think there's a bus ( Hillsbus maybe? ) which will you get you out there probably from somewhere like the QVB ( Queen Victoria Building ) but I'm not 100% sure of which one.

Just be aware that cuddling koalas is now illegal in NSW. You'll have to travel up to Queensland to do this -- probably Australia Zoo ( home of the Crocodile Hunter ) would be the best place for this, but there may be others.

Apart from that, I wonder if Taronga Zoo has something like what you mention? That's the main zoo in Sydney, and well worth a visit if you have time. You can catch a ferry directly from Circular Quay ( essentially under the Harbour Bridge ) directly to the zoo. You can spend a whole day just wandering through it looking out over the harbour and back towards the city.

Hopefully one of those will give you a bit of a heads up. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll see what I can do to answer them!

Cheers -- Stuart

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    Ok, had a chat with my wife, and here's a bunch of things we came up with. It depends on what you're into and how long you have:

- Bondi to Bronte walk. From Bondi beach along the coast, a real great walk. Bondi beach is worth the short trip out on the train
    - Blue Mountains -- bushwalking, great bush views, etc.
    - Hunter Valley ( about 2 hours outside of Sydney ) -- wine country ( depends on how long you have in Sydney I guess )
    - Darling Harbour is popular with tourists
    - Circular Quay -- Opera House, Harbour Bridge, the Rocks ( historical part of Sydney ). Ghost tours through the Rocks is great fun and full of history if that floats your boat
    - Lord Nelson pub ( near the rocks ) -- try the 3 Sheets beer... highly recommended!
    - Paddington Markets each Saturday ( a short bus ride from the CBD )
    - If you don't mind fine dining, Cafe Sydney, Quay or Aria restaurants are worth taking a look at ( but pricey ). They're modern Australian
    - Fish and chips on Manly beach -- catch a ferry from Circular Quay. Great surfing as well if you're into that
    - Luna Park -- can walk across the Harbour Bridge if you're keen or near Milsons Point station if not. Great view of the city/bridge and try Ripples at Milsons point ( right under the bridge, on the walkway to Luna Park )
    - Centrepoint ( Sydney Tower ) has a revolving restaurant and "Skywalk" ( I think it's called ). Can't say if it's any good as I've not done it, but the views would be great
    - Sometimes there are things on in Hyde Park, depends on when you come.
    - St Mary's Cathedral is just across Hyde Park ( if you're into that sort of stuff )
    - If you're into the more... erm... "colourful" elements of Sydney, go up to Kings Cross
    - Sydney Explorer buses are good hop-on/hop-off buses for one ticket. Also noticed they have a Sydney Harbour Explorer which takes you around the harbour for a similar thing but with boats
    - Museums, art galleries, etc.

Actually, don't miss out on climbing the Harbour Bridge, it's well worth it. A little pricey, but awesome!

That should start you off anyway ;)

Herr R aus B

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

Thanks for all the great infos! Cuddling Koalas is illegal? Neat-o! :) Means, they get more peace and will be left alone by annoying tourists :) A pity fo the tourists and good for the eucalyptus-eaters :) The zoo hint seems to be a suitable idea and so is the cathedral. Unfortunately I just have 2 days in Sydney, as this is a stop over on my way to NZ - all part of going round the world (Singapore, Sydney, New Zealand South Island with guided bus tour, North Island on my own, then on a container ship via Chile through Panama Channel to Philadelphia, than visiting friends in Boston, then some Jazz in NYC and back home to Berlin/Germany). I already have a booking on that kinda typical tourist sightseeing tour including everything like Harbour Bridge, Opera, Darling Harbour, Cockle Bay, Milsons Point, Manly Beach, harbour cruise, The Rocks, Bondi Beach and Paddington... So this is the first day and on the second day I'll have a look at the Zoo and some cultural stuff...

I think I'm gonna take the cabs - clogged traffic is standard in Berlin, so I'm used to this and 40/50 $ is OK taking into respect thatI am travelling with some 25-30kg of luggage due to the fact, that I am amateur photographer and I'll be on tour some 9 weeks ;-) So also bushwalking and stuff is not really made for me, as I am old and overweight and when I get to Sydney I will jump from autumn right into spring, which surely will be a little bit exhausting. This also kinda rules out the bridge climbing - and also I am awfully freightened of the height (the Berlin area in fact is enormously flat...). I saw a report on these ppl on top of the bridge - sure is great, but I wanna live ;-)

So, yes, I stay in the middle of the city - at least the hotel (Leisure Inn Sydney) is supposed to be in walking distance of Sydney downtown.

Would there be any recommendable jazz pub or club or bar for the evening?

Thanks again for making all these suggestions, chatting with the wife (I hope you do that on a regular base ;)) and maybe we bump into each other at the beginning of september. Should you see some rather tall (2m - a south korean once called me "multidiemsnional") german guy with lots of grey hair and some ridiculously large Canon lenses, it probably could be me :)

Greets and regards - also to the wife!

Axel :D

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    Heh... ah ok, we went a bit overboard on the suggestions if you're only here for two days. Not to worry, you can save the rest for next time you're here ;) Sounds like an awesome trip though. The container ship sounds... interesting... heh...

Yeah cuddling koalas in New South Wales is illegal, but apparently not in any other state of Australia. Weird. I guess it was to stop Oprah staying in Sydney the whole time she was here or something... heh...

One good jazz bar is called The Basement. It can be a bit pricey depending on who's playing, but it's pretty nice. Plus you can wander across the road to the harbour if you feel that way inclined. The walk takes you around to the Opera House/Botanical Gardens as well. It's in Circular Quay, so you shouldn't have any issue walking there. Alternatively there is a free bus which drives up and down George Street ( the main drag in the city ). It's the only green coloured bus, but also check it's route 555. It's free, so well worth jumping on if you don't feel like walking through the city.

Apart from that, take a wander up George Street from Circular Quay through The Rocks. There's a pub pretty much every few steps so you're sure to find something you like. There's a Lowenbrau Keller a little way off the main drag if you want a taste of home as well.

Herr R aus B

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Heh... ah ok, we went a bit overboard on the suggestions if you're only here for two days.

I appreciate the effort you put in marketing your place! :)

Not to worry, you can save the rest for next time you're here ;)

If only I had the money and the time... The sphere we are living on ist so small if you look at it when you live somewhere around Alpha Centauri - but judged from the Berlin point of view it's rather large :) Thus, expensive and time consuming :) How many times did you peronally go to Europe? ;-)

Sounds like an awesome trip though. The container ship sounds... interesting... heh...

It definately is! Here you can have a look at the ship :) I am somewhat hooked on this container ship stuff - it's a completely different world and you really can get off everything. Very refreshing and inspiring! And the accomodation is much better and much more exciting then going on a regular cruise ship (especially if those sink and burn and bla...). Plus you live together with the officers and crew, you are always welcome on the bridge and you can do nice trips at shore while the ship is taking cargo in different ports. Look here - this was in 2010.... Did the same thing again in 2012 and meanwhile I know a lot of ppl working on the ships of that particular company and everybody is very friendly and helpful. In 2012 the company even asked me, whether I would be willing to be part of a TV report on ppl travelling on container ships. So for three days I was always followed be a TV team and got the trip cheaper... Great :) Now I am probably very famous in Spain and Italy (TV report was produced for some Berlusconi stations). I can definately recommend this kind of travveling if you dont get seasick and know how to organize things on your own :)

Yeah cuddling koalas in New South Wales is illegal, but apparently not in any other state of Australia. Weird. I guess it was to stop Oprah staying in Sydney the whole time she was here or something... heh...

Ha! The good thing about the "old world" (say Europe) is, that the "cultural influence" (or should I say the hysterical impact???) of the US of A is not THAT significant - eventho it is there like in McDonalds, Burger King, terrible TV formats, series (well - House MD is great and so was Northern Exposure), but the cultural abyss associated with ppl like Oprah or Leno and so on is rather far away... at least in Germany :) But we are getting there slowly... :(

There's a Lowenbrau Keller a little way off the main drag if you want a taste of home as well.

EEK!!!! :eek:

Eventho Germany and Australia have a kinda top levelish beer consumption (I think the Belgians still beat us...), Löwenbräu is Bavarian and strictly spoken, Bavaria is just formally a part of Germany from an adminstrational or federalistical point of view! :) I have to point that out, as I am from Berlin and thus, I am from Prussia and so Bavaria is something like an enemy by heritage (if that makes sense). Btw. Bavarians would agree on that. Everything thats from outside of Bavaria is Prussia and hence bad - even Japan! :) So, going there would really not make me feel home :) But these are marginal cultural issues you don't need to care about at all :) Just to clearify that not all of us Germans run around wearing leather trousers and dancing "Schuhplattler" :)

Btw. - How is crocodile hunting these days? ;-)

Anyways - I'm gonna print your advises and take them with me - sounds very nice :) maybe we have a beer together? What would that be? Foster's? :)

Herr R aus B

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmmm... can't say I know of any Koala Hospital. There's the Wildlife Sydney in Darling Harbour ( http://www.wildlifesydney.com.au/ ), which is in the CBD. They offer you a chance to dine with the Koalas, but not sure if they have any kind of hospital.

Btw - I found that feature about the Koala Hospital - here it is. Well, it's just the teaser... But the feature was quiete cute - or at least the the little grey protagonists were :)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Mr R'n'B said:

Germany and Australia have a kinda top levelish beer consumption (I think the Belgians still beat us...)

Here are the stats... >>>here<<<

A quick top 10 - (consumption per person)

1. Czech Republic 156 ltr/person/year - The Champions!
    2. Ireland 131 ltr/person/year - that is just sheer dedication, but they are good and funny at it.
    3. Germany 110 ltr/person/year - To be expected really as there are some great German beers out there. I look forward to the German Christmas Markets in Manchester.
    4. Austria 108 ltr/person/year - A surprise contender (well for me, anyway)
    5. Australia 104 ltr/person/year - Just slightly ahead of UK. If it was an Olympic sport they would open an academy so they could win.
    6. UK 99 ltr/person/year - (174 UK Pints) - I thought this would be much higher. A bit disappointed to be honest. We do well in teenage pregnancy league though.
    7. Poland 95 ltr/person/year - probably more spirits here than beer.
    8. Denmark 90 ltr/person/year - That's a lot of Carlsberg
    9. Finland 85 ltr/person/year - Another surprise, although they do need something to do during those dark nights.
    10. Luxembourg 84 ltr/person/year - ???

Belgium is languishing in 15th place with 81 ltr/person/year, so Germany is well ahead. Another example of the legendary German efficiency, but this time at drinking. Positions 3 to 7 are quite close really and I think with a bit of focus and training we here in the UK could rise up the international ranking. BTW, New Zealand is 19th in the rankings.

Herr R aus B

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My Goodness!

The belgian languishing must be virtual due to the fact, that they don't have a government since months - they obviously don't publish statistics any longer... Or maybe they just feel better without government and don't need to drink any more... :)

And "Mr R'n'B" is very charming :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom