"Authorised MP reseller"? (1 Viewer)

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Near Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
This seller on eBay is claiming to be an authorised re-seller of MediaPortal. Can he legally say that, let alone sell MediaPortal on eBay? I'm not up-to-scratch with the GPL licenses, but I guess he can sell MediaPortal, but I don't like the way he's saying he's an authorised seller of MP. Can we get the listing taken down? ;D

Open-Source software is great, but it annoys me when others profit off my work and don't give anything back.

What are your thoughts?

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Home Country
I remember this has been discussed before, search the forum for "eBay".

/Jayrock

I've had a look over the other topics, but I guess my question mainly concerned this person saying that they are an "Authorised re-seller" when they aren't specifically endorsed by MediaPortal. The license "authorises" them to sell it, but not to claim that they are given permission by MP to resell it. That's what mainly concerns me about this.

THDBASED

Portal Pro
January 30, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Isn't this another, but in my eyes, bigger problem:

-Shipping Cost
Free - Digital delivery information provided by the seller will be made available immediately upon payment.

So he is asking people to pay $9.95 to download Mediaportal? Or am I wrong? I thought that you where allowed to sell MP if you ship a CD/DVD containing the program, but he is just telling people, after they have made a payment, the location where to download it...

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Isn't this another, but in my eyes, bigger problem:

-Shipping Cost
Free - Digital delivery information provided by the seller will be made available immediately upon payment.

So he is asking people to pay $9.95 to download Mediaportal? Or am I wrong? I thought that you where allowed to sell MP if you ship a CD/DVD containing the program, but he is just telling people, after they have made a payment, the location where to download it...

I think what happens is, once you get paid, you get sent the file via email or something. But when they go to install it, they'll see the "open-source" and "free" parts of the program, and they'll realise that they've been had.

But he can legally do this, as the GPL license believes in FREEDOM of code, not FREE code. So legally I could take the source and sell it.

That's why these licenses aren't my first choice when picking an open-source license. I like people to distribute my code, but not for profit, unless I get a donation or at least a mention..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom