Automatic Commerical / Advert Skipping.... (1 Viewer)

Slack

Portal Member
January 26, 2005
NC, USA
I searched the forums on this but 'commercial' gets lots of hits on unrelated items.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has coded a plug-in for Automatically detecting commercial breaks and skipping over them without user intervention?

I'm a long time ReplayTV user and have come to enjoy this aspect of my ReplayTVs the most over the years. I'm planning a HTPC project and intend to use Media Portal, and was curious about this. Or the possibility of it, on Media Portal.

I beleive the ReplayTV software loks for fade-to-black transitions & a coressponding fafe-from-black within a certain time frame of each other & then marks records the info in an index file for use upon playback lateer.

Thanks

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately there is no such feature implemented.
    There is a programm called comskip out there some HTPC programms use, but we need someone who will take the battle to get this thing done.

Regards
    Ralph

Slack

Portal Member
    January 26, 2005
    NC, USA
    Sorta what I expected. However, it may easier to wait & see what the ReplayTV / Hauppauge 'Joint Venture' produces. I'm thinking that the RTV branded capture card would create the index file for use with legacy RTV hardware on the network (Networked ReplayTVs skip commercials automatically when streaming from other ReplayTVs on the network).

FWIW Commercial Skip was sued into oblivion by RIAA & MPAA attack dogs, and ReplayTV removed the capability on later units, but they still keep track of the commercials for the scenario I mentioned above.

—ReplayTV and Hauppauge Team Up to Offer Innovative PC-Based DVR—
    http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/About/Replaytv/press.asp?ID=613

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom