AUtomatic thumbnails in MyPictures (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Mars Warrior said:
quote]I agree with you guys, should be default large icons, and should be automatic . Don't see a problem with using thumbs.db
Well I do see a problem for NON XP users like me. Win2K does not have a thumbs.db...[/quote]

It would be cool if MP was able to disginguish if you're using xp and 2k. and to use thumbs.db if its available.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think we have a concensus here...

1. If Windows XP then you get the thumbnails created by the OS
    2. If using another OS (God knows why :twisted: ) then 'Automatically' generate the thumbs when entering the My Pictures module.

That about sums it up... over to the moderators...

DMAN.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    and 4, why in gods name make it more difficult than it is.
    We simply make our own thumbs and yes this would be nice if automated.

Having thumbs under our own control has advantages to.
    Like when you rotate the picture in MP and make a thumb, it will also be rotated.
    Now when you rely on the thumbs from windows and rotate the pic in MP you also need to rotate it in windows and get the thumb updated to get it ok in MP.
    This is the most open system there is and prepared for the future things we have not yet come up with.

Really, whats the problem of using the thumbs like we do now?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Nothing apart from automation.
    If it's more strategic not to use Windows tumbs.db then so be it.
    I guess the mentallity was, if Windows did it automatically then why have this creation process.

8)

DMAN.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Having thumbs under our own control has advantages to.
    Like when you rotate the picture in MP and make a thumb, it will also be rotated.
    Now when you rely on the thumbs from windows and rotate the pic in MP you also need to rotate it in windows and get the thumb updated to get it ok in MP.

This is a strong point in my eyes. That is what I do. Looking through new pictures in MP and rotate them. Afterwards I do the thumbs scan.

tomtom21000

A

Anonymous

I"ve really grown attached to Picasa. It would be neat if MP read albums from Picasa databases and used the picasa.ini files for image cropping, orientation, etc. Of course the problem is every has their own "ideal" image management program. The problem is, I see MP as a nice way to view images from 10ft -- not as an image management solution. Therefore I'd rather manage albums and edits elsewhere, then get a primarily view-oriented interface in MP. Just my .02.

A

Anonymous

I've thought more about this. The idea of using your own favorite photo management software is pretty common since everyone has a preference. Maybe the better solution is to offer a "photo management provider" concept, whereas anyone that wants to can implement a few function calls to allow the standard My Pictures plugin to read album and photo info based on the underlying package. This is more reusable than needing to write a different plugin when so much functionality is in common. Then someone could write a plugin for Picasa or Jasc or Adobe products, and the default provider would simply read Windows folder structure as today. Just a thought.

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    atkulp said:
    I've thought more about this. The idea of using your own favorite photo management software is pretty common since everyone has a preference. Maybe the better solution is to offer a "photo management provider" concept, whereas anyone that wants to can implement a few function calls to allow the standard My Pictures plugin to read album and photo info based on the underlying package. This is more reusable than needing to write a different plugin when so much functionality is in common. Then someone could write a plugin for Picasa or Jasc or Adobe products, and the default provider would simply read Windows folder structure as today. Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea! I for one would love to see some kind of support for PicaJet. I seldom use "My Pictures" because my digital pictures are in a terrible mess when it comes to folder placement so the only way I can find what I want is using the keywords in PicaJet. Anyway, support for whatever photo organization software would probably make me switch to that software. Picasa or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom