Automatically change channel? (1 Viewer)

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I've had a good search around and i can't see this mentioned anywhere (correct me if i've missed something)

is there a way, or a plugin to add, to be able to switch channel automatically at the start of a programme?

a little like the way you can get MP to alert you when a programme is about to start, but to actually change the channel for you too?

this is in no way urgent but would be nice to hear from others if it currently possible, or even if it could be in the future.

:D

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Actually, I like the idea too, but it may confuse people when the TV changes. would need a dialog box to pop up temporarily as well, I guess.

The option to Alert could be expanded to Notify OR Switch to.

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    sounds like a good plan to me!

i thought about it in the past, but what really made me think was when my girlfriend said her mums crappy cable box can change the channel when a programme you want to watch is about to start... so why can't this!?

:)

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This is a good idea. Have been thinking about it from the beginning when I saw that MP had the notification tool - why is it not able to change the channel as well? I saw this done when I visited some family in USA, though I can't remember what kind of box they were using.

What I would like, is to get a notification like 5 min before a program start - give the ability to switch to the channel, keep watching current channel (with a notification coming again when the program starts - Kind of like "Snoozing" your alarm clock) or delete te notification altogether. Default should be the "snooze"
    Then, when the program starts you get a second dialog box giving you the ability to switch the channel or just ignore the notification altogether.

I don't really use notification right now, but from what I remember, you get a notification 5 min before the program starts, without any options to do anything, and that's it.

tsamb.

Portal Member
    December 21, 2005
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I saw this done when I visited some family in USA, though I can't remember what kind of box they were using.

What I would like, is to get a notification like 5 min before a program start - give the ability to switch to the channel, keep watching current channel (with a notification coming again when the program starts - Kind of like "Snoozing" your alarm clock) or delete te notification altogether. Default should be the "snooze"
    Then, when the program starts you get a second dialog box giving you the ability to switch the channel or just ignore the notification altogether.

This is exactly what the digital Sky Satellite PACE boxes do. If you've "booked" a programme on a channel at a certain time, you will get a notification 5 minutes before said programme starts if you are on a different channel. You can choose to switch to the booked channel at that point, you can snooze the notification or you can cancel it. If you choose to snooze it, the channel will automatically change in 5 minutes.

Interesting feature for single tuner boxes, but I think it has been dropped on Sky's MySky DVRs. (Sorry, no MySky box handy atm to check it out!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom