Automatically updating AMC database when new files are added... (1 Viewer)

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
Is there a good "How-to" guide that one could read to understand how to use this plugin and your automatic updater?

I can't find one for AMC...

OrionHall

Portal Pro
September 13, 2007
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Is there a good "How-to" guide that one could read to understand how to use this plugin and your automatic updater?

I can't find one for AMC...

Not really I'm afraid! My utility is meant to be fairly self-explanatory, but only if you know how to use MyFilms and Ant Movie Catalog...

For MyFilms this forum is your best bet, along with the Wiki page here - Extensions-Plugins/MyFilms - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation

For Ant Movie Catalog, look at the author's site and his forums here - antp.be > Software > Ant Movie Catalog

And for my utility, well there's just this thread and my SourceForge site which has a minimal FAQ here - SourceForge.net: FAQs

Basically, get your movie collection set up in Ant Movie Catalog first. For files on your computer use my utility to import the basic details. To import your DVDs and the like I'd recommend the .csv import features of Ant Movie Catalog. Then use Ant to fill in the movie details using IMDB or similar - 'Tools - Scripting'. Then get MyFilms set up to use your Ant database file (which must be saved in .xml format, not the default .amc).

Hope that's of some help - best of luck!

OrionHall.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi Orionhall, All,
    it's true, that it needs some time to get familiar with the combination of ANT, MyFilm and AMC-Importer - but if it's finally setup and running, it's a fantastic combination for your homeentertainmentsystem.
    Thanks to all people involved for your work!
    Guzzi

z3us

Portal Pro
    December 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi.
    I have a problem when adding a new film to my db. AMCupdater always fills the "number of discs" field. I dont want this to happen. All of my films are stored in single files and then MyFilms shows: 1x"Mediatype". I dont need that 1x to be there. I know I can delete that field by my own, but I want the addition of new films to be as automatic as possible.
    TY

ajamils

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2008
    I've tried using this utility but for some reason I'm having no luck. I'm running it in Vista 64. I tried both 64bit version and the 32 bit. 64bit version crashes as soon as I run it. 32bit version runs and completes the task but the XML file that it creates is BLANK and when I try to close it....it crashes. Any idea ?

Update:
    Downloaded the previous version 0.6 and it works like a charm. I think there is some problem with the latest version.

carmenm

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    I tried this little piece of software and i must say it s quite excellent!
    I have a question and a BIG feature request that i really need.
    1- does multiparts will work with files like title-CD1.avi and title-CD2.avi beeing in the same directory?

2- Could you add a feature that if a folder.jpg exists it puts its location in the image field? That would save my day.

Thank you

OrionHall

Portal Pro
    September 13, 2007
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi.
    I have a problem when adding a new film to my db. AMCupdater always fills the "number of discs" field. I dont want this to happen. All of my films are stored in single files and then MyFilms shows: 1x"Mediatype". I dont need that 1x to be there. I know I can delete that field by my own, but I want the addition of new films to be as automatic as possible.
    TY

Hi z3us,

Fair point - I've been thinking about making each Ant field optional for the import. Hopefully that'll be possible in the next release. Until then - :sorry:

Hi,
    1- does multiparts will work with files like title-CD1.avi and title-CD2.avi beeing in the same directory?

2- Could you add a feature that if a folder.jpg exists it puts its location in the image field? That would save my day.

Thank you

Hi carmenm - I'm glad it's of use to you - always nice to get good feedback :D

Multipart files are controlled (and detected) by a RegEx expression in the Options window. I haven't tried it but it should work for title-CD1.avi naming if you change the expression. Sadly I'm not an expert but there's loads of websites dedicated to RegEx. Have a look online, or maybe someone on this board can advise.

As for the foldername.jpg concept - well, possibly. But it's hard to make one tool fit everybody, so possibly not. Really I'd think that option is more for the one-time import of an old system, rather than the daily updates this tool was designed for. I'll see when I'm next tinkering with it if it'll be feasible.

I've tried using this utility but for some reason I'm having no luck. I'm running it in Vista 64. I tried both 64bit version and the 32 bit. 64bit version crashes as soon as I run it. 32bit version runs and completes the task but the XML file that it creates is BLANK and when I try to close it....it crashes. Any idea ?

Update:
    Downloaded the previous version 0.6 and it works like a charm. I think there is some problem with the latest version.

Hi ajamils,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work!

Could be anything, but sadly I no longer have a Vista64 install to test on. Support for native x64 binaries may be limited in future because of this, though the Win32 version should work fine as well. My only available x64 machine has been reinstalled with XP32 as I was having problems with the MP TVServer.

Cheers,

OrionHall.

carmenm

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Thank you

Hi carmenm - I'm glad it's of use to you - always nice to get good feedback :D

Multipart files are controlled (and detected) by a RegEx expression in the Options window. I haven't tried it but it should work for title-CD1.avi naming if you change the expression. Sadly I'm not an expert but there's loads of websites dedicated to RegEx. Have a look online, or maybe someone on this board can advise.

As for the foldername.jpg concept - well, possibly. But it's hard to make one tool fit everybody, so possibly not. Really I'd think that option is more for the one-time import of an old system, rather than the daily updates this tool was designed for. I'll see when I'm next tinkering with it if it'll be feasible.
    OrionHall.
    About the regex in fact it doesnt work here. :s I forgot that my files are title (year)-CD1 ...
    About the jpg file i was not asking about foldername.jpg but folder.jpg which is a standard used everywhere like in MediaPortal. So i think it would fit most people.
    I will downoad the source of your app and see about the regex and the folder.jpg
    A question about updating deleted files. Dont you load the xml first in memory, add it the new files and then save it? If so i dont see why you would have to wipe out everything and it should work whatever dir the file is in. You just need to remove the entry in the xmltree.
    If you dont mind i ll look into the code and keep you in touch

Anyway thanks for your quick reply and you great work. We need that piece of software!

EDIT: now i see about the wipe out thing its because you use xmlTextReader and so you only store the fields you deal with in your XmlDoc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom