Automating "XMLTV GUI" Data Grabbing....How is it actually done?? (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Found a similar thread from OCT 2013....but answer was unclear!

WIKI states:

Automating "XMLTV GUI" Data Grabbing
Now that you have set up the basic data grabbing system, you will want to automate the EPG data grabbing process.

To do this, you need to set up a Windows Scheduled Task to run the file "XMLTVConsole.exe" which is located in:

• C:\Program Files\XMLTV GUI\
XMLTVConsole.exe is a DOS version of the grabber that grabs data using the pre-configured settings you have already made.

Schedule this task to run every day, when your HTPC is set to wake up and grab EPG data according to your Power Scheduler settings, Thus you will always have the full EPG data available from your provider.

Is this done from inside the EPG tab of the PowerScheduler Plugin....or do I need to setup a scheduled task??
If it's the latter.....then I'm in brown trouser mode!

Robbo's excellent MP guide, over on AVS Forum, glosses over this bit too.......this IS the point where I need to be spoonfed!!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Is this done from inside the EPG tab of the PowerScheduler Plugin....or do I need to setup a scheduled task??
    There are more ways than one to skin this cat. No right answer.

What the text you quoted is saying is to create a scheduled task in Windows (ie. completely separate and unrelated to TV Server or PowerScheduler) to run the grab. In this scenario PowerScheduler is only responsible for waking the PC. There are a million guides on the internet for creating a Windows scheduled task. This looks like a good one:
    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/6cde20/create-schedule-task-in-windows-8/

If you can't figure that out...
    As far as I can tell (though don't quote me - I don't use PowerScheduler), the PowerScheduler EPG tab "run command before..." field may allow you to dispense with the need for a Windows scheduled task. You could try just selecting the XMLTVConsole.exe file in that field.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, I hope it works. I was trying to push you towards the first option because I know that will work... and it is not as hard as you might think. Really. I have no idea whether the second option will work. It is a total stab in the dark.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The 2nd option using PowerScheduler to run a .cmd or .bat script file to grab data and write a tvguide.xml works. You need to be a little careful to make sure the script runs in the correct folder and drive. The xmltv/mc2xml setup guide shows a way to do this for mc2xml. It should work for other applications. You should make sure the script works when you run it by hand, then add it to PowerScheduler. I've done it both ways and personally prefer the windows scheduler. If you use the PS option make sure you use ManualControl to stop/start the TV Server so script will get run.

see the following
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...)/XMLTV_mc2xml#PowerScheduler_Plugin_Settings

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've now also scheduled a task...so option 1 and 2 are operating......is that a good idea...or should I deselect the Powerscheduler bit??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom