Aww! Uninstalling MediaPortal erases my audio and video decoders (1 Viewer)

2blubots

Portal Member
December 4, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.4.23491
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: XP-SP3
CPU Type: AMD 1.6GHz
HDD:
Memory: 1 GB SDRAM
Motherboard: Biostar K8M800-M7 Socket 754
Video Card: nvidia Geforce FX 5200
Video Card Driver: 5.6.7.3
Sound Card: Realtex AC'97 for VIA (onboard)
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6240
1. TV Card: ATI DTV Wonder
1. TV Card Type: ATSC
1. TV Card Driver: 3.0.83.2036
(no additional TV Cards)
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA Decoder filter
h.264 Video Codec: <none>
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: n/a
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I found some better freeware for ATSC HDTV watching and now I'd like to uninstall MP. But when I do so, the uninstaller takes away my system's only audio and video decoders (listed above). Arggh! I don't know what those things are and I'm not sure where they came from. I must presume that every PC system has them built in or that wherever they came from, MP didn't place them there. (Am I wrong?)

So now, my other free HDTV-watching software can't operate until I reinstall MP.

Please: what is the solution to this enigma?

Also of note: a reinstall of MP 1.0.2 fails due to failure installing MS-SQL Express 2005. Of course, that is certainly Microsoft's fault and not Team MediaPortal's. Fortunately, the install gets far enough along to where my precious audio and video decoders are restored.

Any help appreciated!

:D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I found some better freeware for ATSC HDTV watching and now I'd like to uninstall MP. But when I do so, the uninstaller takes away my system's only audio and video decoders (listed above). Arggh! I don't know what those things are and I'm not sure where they came from. I must presume that every PC system has them built in or that wherever they came from, MP didn't place them there. (Am I wrong?)

These are the default codecs installed with MediaPortal, so uninstalling will remove them.

Try the Vista Codec Pack, that will give you mpeg2\divx\h.264\mkv support, with the minimum amount of codecs.

2blubots

Portal Member
    December 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Great! that did the trick. I thank you ever so much. Best of luck with that monster project of yours.

P.S. That other ATSC app to which I referred is WatchHDTV: lightning-fast startup, perfect rendering, all the desired features including scheduler and silent record; and the download is less than half a meg! Sorry -- I just couldn't resist a quick plug for it.

Well, I guess I put my foot in my mouth there a minute ago. No, that did not solve the problem. :D

Of course, it's not really a problem, just some clutter on my PC that I'd prefer not be there.

How dense of me, I installed VCP before uninstalling MP! Then (of course) when I uninstalled MP after the fact, I was again left without usable audio/video decoders (is that synonymous with "codec"?). However, VCP did supply me with those "ffdshow" decoders, so I shouldn't balk. Unfortunately, when I try to select those decoders for use with the WatchHDTV app that I mentioned above, it crashes hard. But Team MediaPortal is FAULTLESS in that, obviously.

So I reinstalled MP, got back my usable MPC decoders, and I guess I'll just have to leave that as the status quo. It wouldn't surprise me if there is still yet a means of having both worlds, usable decoders and MP out of the way, but trying to use that Settings Application of VCP's is very very daunting; just looking at it makes me queasy.

Hey though, I don't retract my thanks!
    :D

2blubots

Portal Member
    December 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Alright, I'm going to take this only so far and then I'll quit while I'm ahead.

So many acronyms, arghh ..found out MPC stands for Media Player Classic ..found out you can download standalone filters from that freeware ..a bunch of .ax files ..don't know where to unpack them, what to do with them or how to enable them, but that would be the way for me to go.

Please: in order to restore the audio and video decoders listed in post #1 here, how do I proceed?

Or, just ... who cares
    :eek:
    he-he
    :mad:
    not I

2blubots

Portal Member
    December 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Moving right along...

Since installing of the standalone MPC filters baffled me, I tried installing the MPC package in its entirety, a very modest sized thing, believing that the desired AV decoders would install with that. Nope, it didn't happen, so I have to go back to MP install to get usable decoders.

:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom