Basic Client PC Hardware Configuration (2 Viewers)

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi everyone,

I'm running MP 1.0.0.0 vanilla on my media centre and working very well (apart from the occasional crash when unnattended). Well done to all developers and contributors.:D

I'm now looking at gradually rolling out replacements for my standard TV's around the home by replacing them with PC's and 22" LCD screens. SDTV streaming is adequate, but with new channels coming on-line I might need to futureproof to also support HDTV streaming.

I've searched unsuccessfully through Wiki and the forum trying to find details of the minimum specification for a PC running MP in client mode only, probably running XP.

Given a standard TV is about AU$450-500, I need to try and keep the cost of a PC to that price band to get by the "boss"! So I'm thinking of a 2nd hand, ex-government PC, although I'll probably need to buy a decent LCD monitor.

So, my question is: what is the minimum hardware specification to run MP 1.0.0.0 in client mode? Is there a higher spec required for HDTV streaming?

Cheers
    ...Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Steve

See the heading Hardware Requirements in the manual. Same page have details for HD.

I have seen people post that lower specs works, but of course you are on your own then ;)

Good luck with the boss... :D

Thanks Rekenaar. I had found that but my reading of it was that this was the spec for the TV server, or TV server with MP client - not MP on it's own. ("Requirements for running MediaPortal and/or the TV-Server" and it includes details of the TV cards).

Are you saying that an MP client needs to be the same spec as a TV Server, but without the TV cards?

Cheers
    ...Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Thanks EtheesDad. The 2nd thread seems more relevant, but somewhat out of date.

Looked at the reviews of the eee box and they seemed to cane it for anything other than lowend basic video. But it is a good price (A$429)

Does anyone have any current experience of the eee box B202 (which seems to be the only one available in Australia?). The Dell hybrid is very pricey at A$999.

Anyone know of other (cheap) box/mini PC's that are proven to do the job?

Thx everyone!

Cheers
    ...Steve

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Yeah actually I think this is one for the docs team. There seems to be a lot of discussion on the forum but no definitive answers as to what constitutes ideal hardware for a client in order to be able to receive and play HD content. If the configuration is the same as single-seat machine (although one would think that a less powerful configuration would be adequate), then this should be stated in the docs. If not, the specifics of minimum client configuration should be listed.

I have posted a request for addendum to manual here
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...m-hardware-specifics-client-55425/#post382998

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks etheesdad - I've subscibed to that thread and hopefully we'll get a quick outcome.

Still interested if anyone else has some recent experiences/recommendations.

Cheers
    ...Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,

If the requirement is for a dual core P4 @ 2GHz, does anyone know whether a Pentium 4, 3.0 Ghz Processor with Hyper-Threading (which apparently simulates dual core) would work for an MP client (without the TV server)?

Cheers
    ...Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom