Basic questions regarding MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

AzJazz

May 12, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi - I have a basic unscrambled cable box and OTA antenna, and I am looking for a PC-based application that will act as a PVR to schedule and record my TV programs. I would like the application to automatically start with Windows, and run in the background recording my shows.

My PC will be used for lots of other tasks, so I just want something to record and store the programs in a directory. I'm not sure about streaming, and whether the streaming would be playable by my network connected devices.

I have an old HDHomeRun connected to my antennas and network to capture the video.

I am also hoping for a free EPG service to schedule my programming, if possible.

Will MediaPortal fill my needs? I tried looking at XBMC, but it looked like XBMC was intended to be for a dedicated Home Theater PC.

Thanks!

AzJazz

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again :)

...and I am looking for a PC-based application that will act as a PVR to schedule and record my TV programs. I would like the application to automatically start with Windows, and run in the background recording my shows.
    MediaPortal's TV Server can do that.
    It runs as a Windows service, starting automatically with Windows.
    Once configured with schedules etc. (which you'd do via the MediaPortal front end) it can just do its thing in the background. No need to keep the front end open all the time.

I have a basic unscrambled cable box and OTA antenna...
    I have an old HDHomeRun connected to my antennas and network to capture the video.
    Your HDHomeRun can receive OTA and clear QAM (unencrypted cable). MediaPortal's TV Server can handle either or both fine. My question would be: how does the "unscrambled cable box" fit in? Is that cable signal going to come in via the HDHomeRun, or do you intend to connect the cable box to the PC some other way?

I am also hoping for a free EPG service to schedule my programming, if possible.
    These are the options for EPG in the US:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/setup-help.124506/#post-1061869

All are free except SchedulesDirect which is $25 USD per year.

Will MediaPortal fill my needs?
    In my opinion, yes. :)

I tried looking at XBMC, but it looked like XBMC was intended to be for a dedicated Home Theater PC.
    So is MediaPortal [the front end]. However, it can run alongside other software in a window quite happily (ie. you can watch TV/recordings while doing other stuff too), and the TV Server component is perfectly happy to run in the background.

mm

AzJazz

May 12, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks, mm1352000! The cable box may become my main source, depending on which one has the better signal quality. It only has my local channels, with about a half-dozen encrypted channels (which I won't be able to record with MP, of course ...)

Looks like I have some MP configuring to get started on!

AzJazz

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The cable box may become my main source...
    Do you have some kind of PC capture card that you would connect the cable box to?

...depending on which one has the better signal quality.
    Keep in mind that signal strength/quality readings aren't comparable between tuners unless the units (eg. dBmW etc.) are the same. Percentage (%) is not a valid unit for comparison.
    In other words, your cable box may give "50%" signal strength while the HDHomeRun gives "70%" from the same cable... but that doesn't mean the HDHomeRun is better.

...with about a half-dozen encrypted channels (which I won't be able to record with MP, of course ...)
    Well that depends on how you intend to connect the feed. If you connect the cable box to a capture card then you would be able to receive the encrypted channels with MP. The question would be: do you have a compatible capture card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom