BBC ONE now streams online! (1 Viewer)

Geon106

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
Kent, England
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The mainstream british channel, BBC One, now streams online. I've got a feeling its only a test transmission because the TCR is at the top.

But anyways, heres the stream URL: http://wwitv.com/online/b2638.asx

To play in WMP, open windows media player, click file, click open url, type that address in.

To add to MP, open configuration and go to Radio > Stations, click add, select stream and add a name[BBC One] then add that URL address in.

Btw it streams at about 700Kbps, which is pretty good quality[ITV Local is 1000-1800Kbps]. At times like these i wish i didn't have wireless lol the signal is poor so i keep getting buffer underun.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    To be honest i'm a little surprised they are trialing BBC1. I would have thought that either BB3 or BBC4 would be used, or if they wanted a 24 hour channel, News24 would be the obvious choice for me. At least then they are completely clear of any production rights.

But yeah, i think it is inevitable that all the BBC channels will be steamed online. Would be good if they doubled up on the shared channels (BBC3, BBC4, CBBC and CBBies).

Geon106

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Kent, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yeah, then ITV will follow with the Mainstream ITV channel, then Channel 4 and Channel 5[which i can't get on analogue because it interferes with a french channel].

I think most channels will broadcast on the internet for free, because analogue is now being switched off so obviously they're looking at other ways besides freeview/homechoice[which is basically internet tv anyways]/cable/satallite.

If all freeview channels go to online streams as well then i think the future looks bright for internet tv. the only good channels that stream online are ITV Play/Ministry of sound tv[which is low quality]/Rapture TV[which is currently off air]/ITV Local/BBC Weather, but maybe now the BBC mainstream channels will follow.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    What about the licence fee how would it fit in with online broadcasts
    I believe there was a proposal a year or so ago that recomended a license system for watching/downloading BBC channels and content online. I think the idea was you would get a digital license when you bought a traditional TV license. This then allowed you access to the online content. Those that didn't have a traditional license could then buy a digital only one. I can't remember if this was going to be extended to non-UK rsidents as well or not, i guess it depends on the BBCs licensing terms from other broadcasters for the programs it shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom