BBC ONE now streams online! (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I hope we soon can use somthing else than (My) Radio for streaming....

Ideally it should be under TV, but I think the developers are happy where it is for the time being.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, whenever IP TV gets more popular - things might change.

I know the devs have more important stuff to do, and by all means:
    I admire the hard and great work they put in this amazing application!

Geon106

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Kent, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Firstly, wheres the link for channel 4's stream?

Secondly, yes there should be a My Internet TV plugin very similer to My TV with fast channel switch and OSD blah blah lol.

Thirdly, as for license fees, all channels i've seen online are free to air channels, i beleive they're payed for through your normal TV License, however soon people outside the UK wont have access(because they don't pay the british tv license), streaming online tv i assume is paid for just the same as freeview and other free to air services. But i may be wrong

And yes, this is one amazing application, i just wish the MSN Messenger feature worked properly and there was a Internet TV bit either under My TV or in its own section. But good work none the less, can't really nip-pick :)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Channel 4 usually have streaming Big Brother, i think they have been doing that for years now.

Just because a channel is FTA doesn't mean non-UK residents are allowed to watch that channel. the BBC channels are payed for by the license fee. But the other channels are not, they make their money from advertising revenue and selling their programs to other networks around the world (the BBC also do this). However, when they import TV from other countries (US sitcoms for example) they have a license to show that program to the UK on their network. This license would not normally include people from Holland (for example) watching the program online.

This is something the entire TV industry will need to get to grips with in the next few years as TVoIP, both legal and otherwise starts to gain momentum.

Geon106

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Kent, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Channel 4 usually have streaming Big Brother, i think they have been doing that for years now.

Just because a channel is FTA doesn't mean non-UK residents are allowed to watch that channel. the BBC channels are payed for by the license fee. But the other channels are not, they make their money from advertising revenue and selling their programs to other networks around the world (the BBC also do this). However, when they import TV from other countries (US sitcoms for example) they have a license to show that program to the UK on their network. This license would not normally include people from Holland (for example) watching the program online.

This is something the entire TV industry will need to get to grips with in the next few years as TVoIP, both legal and otherwise starts to gain momentum.

yea thats what i was getting at, that UK residents will be allowed to watch for free as long as they have a TV License, but streams may be stopped for non-uk residents, depends on the channel i guess.

I know a lot of radio stations don't stream to non-english residents, which is crappy because when i went on Holiday to Cyprus i couldn't listen to my fav station. but still.

Now that broadband is in most homes and speeds of up to 20MBPS are available in the UK* internet tv is really beginning to take off, my mobile phone can even watch streaming tv and thats just a 512KBPS 3G phone lol. In America[and maybe the UK, you can get TiVo which works on TVoIP] and in the UK you've gone HomeChoice which works in the same way.

Just wondering, Sky+ is £99 for the box, £50 installation and then £10 per month extra for the PVR functions, very expensive. Now, on my computer I can get a TV Tuner for under £50 and record on a hard drive of my size and then copy to CD/DVD and transfer on any of my computers, so whats so good about Sky+ compared to MP and a TV Tuner?

I know thats nothing to do with what we're talking about, but its just cropped up in my mind.

*Not available in all areas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom