BDA driver support? (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I can't find any info on it - but is it possible that MediaPortal will be Microsoft BDA compatible, so that I can stick in a BDA driver for my digital TV tuner (DVB-T, not ATSC) and then it will work (eventually) under MediaPortal?

If so, this would be fantastic as then there is no need to write specific drivers for each card.

Also skinning support - easy way to plugin the Project Mayhem skin? :)

cheers,

Gizmomelb

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i believe one of the developers have a DVB-T Nova card..so DVB cards will be implimented ...

i'm hoping to get one soon too *drool*

A

Anonymous

SiLenTYL said:
    i believe one of the developers have a DVB-T Nova card..so DVB cards will be implimented ...

i'm hoping to get one soon too *drool*

excellent news! (hopefully!).. there are BDA drivers out for most every card - the Nebula, Nova, VisionPlus (so this includes the Chaintech too I'm guessing), DVIco and KWorld cards. I have been told there are BDA drivers coming out for the Avermedia DVB-T sometime mid this year.. so it's definately good news hardware wise.

MediaPortal and DVB-T support is a killer application - I was hoping for DVB-T support on XBMC using the Nebula or VisionPlus USB DVB-T tuner, but I think it is more likely to happen on MediaPortal.

A

Anonymous

Yep, i hope to receive my Nova-T card soon
    When it has arrived then offcourse we'll add support for it (and thus for BDA)
    Frodo

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I live in Australia, and wondering if the main DVB-T cards here are the best for use with MediaPortal.

If i was to buy a DVB-T card..is there a particularly good one? Avermedia, VisionPlus are the main ones sold here...

In the future i *HOPE* there is development on streaming between MediaPortal and XBMC. This will make MediaPortal one insane APP!

What features should i look for in a DVB-T card? MPEG decoding? MPEG encoding by hardware?

Basically im asking what is the best Terrestrial card i can get?

A

Anonymous

SiLenTYL said:
    I live in Australia, and wondering if the main DVB-T cards here are the best for use with MediaPortal.

If i was to buy a DVB-T card..is there a particularly good one? Avermedia, VisionPlus are the main ones sold here...

In the future i *HOPE* there is development on streaming between MediaPortal and XBMC. This will make MediaPortal one insane APP!

What features should i look for in a DVB-T card? MPEG decoding? MPEG encoding by hardware?

SiLenTYL - I'm also an Aussie and I've got both the Avermedia and the VisionPlus. Personally I use my Aver much more than the VP as I watch/record SD (Standard Definition) shows much more than HD. Currently I have the BETA HD drivers for the Aver, so I'll let you know how they work and if there are any other improvements in them.

VisionPlus has better third party support over the Avermedia, but there is a lot of negativity with the VP at the moment as it appears support for it may have been dropped in favour of the new KWorld card (and also the revision 2 Avermedia - both DVB-T PCI cards use the same Samsung DVB-T tuner, which is very nice apparently).

BDA - there are (beta?) BDA drivers for the VisionPlus and supposedly there will be official BDA drivers for the Avermedia due out in June/July.

I've already suggested/asked if MediaPortal could also have a multicast facility added (much like VideoLAN), so then many users on a network could watch streamed TV through MediaPortal. Killer applications for home theatre.

cheers,

Gizmomelb

A

Anonymous

DVB-S

Does BDA support mean that Media Portal will have the abaility to use DVB-S Cards also ?

I use a Skystar2 card and DVB-S support would really kick-ass as ths is a lack of all HTPC frontends.

There are a lot of DVB-S progs out( personally use ProgDVB), but all of them are designed for use on a normal PC and OSD is quite bad and integration into HTPC software is really hard at the moment.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Gizmomelb said:
    SiLenTYL said:

SiLenTYL - I'm also an Aussie and I've got both the Avermedia and the VisionPlus. Personally I use my Aver much more than the VP as I watch/record SD (Standard Definition) shows much more than HD. Currently I have the BETA HD drivers for the Aver, so I'll let you know how they work and if there are any other improvements in them.

VisionPlus has better third party support over the Avermedia, but there is a lot of negativity with the VP at the moment as it appears support for it may have been dropped in favour of the new KWorld card (and also the revision 2 Avermedia - both DVB-T PCI cards use the same Samsung DVB-T tuner, which is very nice apparently).

BDA - there are (beta?) BDA drivers for the VisionPlus and supposedly there will be official BDA drivers for the Avermedia due out in June/July.

I've already suggested/asked if MediaPortal could also have a multicast facility added (much like VideoLAN), so then many users on a network could watch streamed TV through MediaPortal. Killer applications for home theatre.

cheers,

Gizmomelb

Thanks dude..look forward to hear from u soon....the Avermedia seems to be the one DVB-T card most available here...
    do either of your cards use hardware decoding or encoding?
    if they are done by hardware, then MediaPortal will less of a strain on my CPU...when DVB support comes

A

Anonymous

heya,

none of my cards have hardware support on board, but if you have an ATI or specific Geforce 4 cards which have DXVA support for hardware accelerated MPEG2 decoding, you'll notice a lot less processor usage.

The only DVB-T card with on-board hardware decoding (that I am aware of) is the Hauppage PVR-350.

A processor speed of faster than 1.2GHz is fine for SD (Standard Digital = 720x576p (progressive) widescreen PAL), but you're needing around a 2GHz or faster for HD (High Definition = up to 1920 x 1080i (interlace)) viewing.

The Avermedia has NO third party Windows support, but is supported under Linux. The VisionPlus has a few third party windows applications but is poorly supoprted by it's manufacturer. Two new cards = the DVIco and KWorld cards look good, and I know there is a revision 2 of the Avermedia card due very soon which has a much better on-board digital tuner.. so worth watching out for.

XBMC on the XBOX aleady supports viewing MPEG TS (transport stream) so you can watch a SD DVB-T recording on the XBOX without having to convert the file format or anything. The XBOX doesn't have enough CPU power to decode a HD stream without being very jerky.

If MediaPortal eventually supports DVB-T/ATSC cards and has a realtime video streaming function like VideoLAN then I'll be a *VERY* happy camper!

cheers,

Gizmomelb

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Gizmomelb....

I got a 720p copy of a movie the other day and tryed it out in XBMC...streaming and from HDD....it was a .TS (transport stream)
    The movie is rarely smooth.....and on the whole i got around 20 FPS, instead of 30..which it should be.

When the PC sends a 720p .TS (transport stream) Digital TV signal in standard definition(SD) to the xbox...will the xbox be able to play it smoothly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom