Behaviour of "Filter by Genre" confusing? (1 Viewer)

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi there,

now that my genres are imported correctly, I was a little bit confused about the behaviour of the "Filter by Genre" button. This doesn't seem to be a bug but rather a question how MP2's behaviour should be so I'm reporting this here. Let me explain this with an example - that makes it easier :D

Let's assume I have three tracks in my collection with the following genres ('/' used as separator between multiple genres):

Song1: Rock/Hardrock
    Song2: Heavy Metal
    Song3: Hardrock/Heavy Metal

I open the Audio-Library and then select "Filter by Genre". Since in real life, there are more than three genres in my collection, I first see a list with characters to make the selection easier. I.e., I see:

<Empty or misc. character>
    A*
    B*
    [...]
    H*
    [...]
    R*
    [...]

When I now select "R*", I would expect MP2 to only show me genres starting with R - i.e., only show me "Rock". Instead I see Rock and Hardrock.
    The reason seems to be that filtering occurs on a per track basis. That means, it looks for all the tracks having at least one genre that starts with "R" and then displays all the genres that these tracks have. In the example it would show me the genres Rock and Hardrock - although Hardrock starts with "H", not with "R". I then have to select "Rock" and then it shows the track(s) with genre "Rock"

When I select "H*" in the example above, I see "Rock", "Hardrock" and "Heavy Metal" - because there is at least one song that has a genre starting with "H*" and also the genre "Rock".

As a result, when you have quite a big music collection with many genres tagged, basically the list of characters doesn't make sense because no matter what character you chose, you will always see in the following screen nearly all your genres listed.

Now that I have understood how it works, I can perfectly live with it. I just wanted to ask whether this is "how MP2 should behave". Imho it would be better understandable for new users if
    [*]either we skip the character list (no matter how many genres there are) and just display the full list of genres
    [*]or after selecting a character we only show genres that actually start with this character.

Let me know your thoughts!

:D Michael

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Behaviour of "Filter by Genre" confusing?

Thanks for that report. IIRC Smeulf reported that behavior before, but it is many months ago and I don't remember exactly what he said.
    In my Opinion, that behavior of the filter engine is wrong; The H* section should only show genres with H.
    I'll take a look at it and I'll see if I can fix it easily.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Just tested with the dev branch from last night.
    Confirmed working as I would it expect!
    Thanks a lot Albert!
    /Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom