Best deinterlace settings for Ion machine (1 Viewer)

eggyman

Portal Member
February 21, 2010
MediaPortal Version: 1.1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide/StreamedMP/Maya
Windows Version: 7
CPU Type: Atom 330
HDD: Laptop HDD
Memory: 2gb
Motherboard: Zotac Ionitx
Video Card: Ion (Geforce 9400??)
Video Card Driver: Latest windows update
Sound Card: HDMI
Sound Card AC3: N/A
Sound Card Driver: Latest windows update
1. TV Card: Twinhan 704j
1. TV Card Type: USB dvb-t
1. TV Card Driver: Unsure
MPEG2 Video Codec: Tried Nvidia purevideo/mpc/ffdshow/microsoft dtv/cyberlink
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: mpc
HTPC Case: MiniITX
Cooling: CPU fan
Power Supply: Zotac 90W
TV: Toshiba 42xv555db 1920x1080p
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I'm pretty sure this is not a bug and just something to do with my setup. Any help appreciated. :D

The quality of my live SD (and recorded .ts) files is really poor. It looks like a deinterlace issue (eg, combing, multiple images when paused). For things like soaps its fine, not noticable in fact, but for sports it makes it not watchable (cricket, football and F1 all look v. bad).
I'm wondering whether the hardware just isn't up to interlaced sports content???

Initially i was getting dropped frames. The only codecs that don't drop frames for me are the Nvidia and "MPC (gabest)". However, even without dropping frames the quality issue persists.

Does anyone know what the hardware deinterlacing capabilities of the ion are? And how do i ensure these are used?
What refresh rate is best for live tv in the uk? Currently i'm on 50hz but "25hz interlaced" also seems the same.

I've read loads of threads on various forums and there seems to be glut of information relating to Ion the RC versions of 1.1 but its hard to know which ones are relevant now final is out.

I've also tried with my laptop which is a Core2Duo T8100, but with naff Intel graphics. Same issue. Again, wondering if thats because the deinterlacing of the graphics card is not up to much.

Sorry if some of this is jibberish or of no importance, i'm finding hard to understand this deinterlacing malarky.

Thanks for the help!

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    You will not be able to deinterlace 1080i tv to full hd resolution using vector adaptive deinterlacing with ION. But SD TV should not stutter even if you rescale it to fullhd.

With my ION I use following configuration:

- Install SAF 5
    - Install coreavc
    - For TV use Microsoft codecs (for mpeg2 and h.264). ffdswhow for audio.
    - For video mpeg2 use ffdshow or microsoft, for h.264 use coreavc (check to have a video driver that enables cuda, if you have older drivers it can be disabled). Use ffdshow for audio.

If you watch TV PAL use 50hz for refresh rate. If you do not want to buy coreavc try also ffdshow for h.264.

Remember to have aero on to avoid tearing.

bryanchicken

Portal Member
    April 21, 2009
    cheers robyf.

Should have mentioned that this is a SD broadcast (576i).

I might try a reinstall over the weekend and go with your settings to see if that helps.

[Edit]Oooh, i forgot i had this login! Sorry for the confusion it might cause.[/Edit]

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi eggyman aka bryanchicken ;),

try robyf's hints.

additional I made yesterday following experience, cause I have a similar test machine ( POV ION-330, which is 2x1.6 GHz and 9400m as you desribed.)

- in BIOS increase FSB to 599 which results then in 2x1.8 GHz ( not higher otherwise BSOD)
    - in BIOS assign 512 MB of RAM to the onboard gfx
    - install a second 2GB RAM
    - install latest nvidia drivers ( not windows update) , choose ION and Win7 on the nvidia website.

After that I let it run the whole night on a 1080i broadcast and pressed Shift+1. The result was 1 per mille dropped frames.

My video settings for this machine: (I use SAF 4)
    - video h.264: MPC audio: ffdshow
    - TV h.264: Cyberlink PDVD 9

So all mkv's and ts recordings are stutterfree.

have fun.

bryanchicken

Portal Member
    April 21, 2009
    cheers ichessblumen.

I'm not actually getting any dropped frames at the moment. It appears to be that its deinterlacing poorly.

I've already got 512mb assigned to graphics.

Unfortunately i can't install another 2gb. I had 4gb in there previously but I think i got a power surge sometime and it blew out one of the sticks and also the slot. I can't move my existing working RAM into the other slot any more :(
    4gb sticks are way too expensive!

I'll give your FSB a try if robyf's stuff doesn't work. Although i don't think the CPU is being overly taxed at the moment.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi.
    MPEG-2 SD should not be problem for ION.

Just install SAF5 and use FFDShow for MPEG-2 liveTV. You should have HW deinterlacing by default.
    You can try it by opening any MPEG-2 *.MPG or *.TS in graphstudio (here is good interlaced sample to test).
    No need to install anything else, just make sure FFDshow is realy in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom