erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Long time MP user, about to replace my timeshifting drive which is failing.

I don't want to go down the Ramdisk route but would be keen to get people's opinions on the following:

- Should I use a SSD for timeshifting
    - I used to have timeshifting and recording folder on same drive. Should I keep timeshifting on a dedicated one and another for recording.
    - Can anyone recommend the best drives to use for timeshifting in terms of longevity

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

What is important to you WRT timeshifting and recording?
    I mean, all solutions - RAMdisk, HDD, SSD - have their strengths and weaknesses.

- Should I use a SSD for timeshifting
    I assume you ask about this because you're interested in channel changing speed.
    My answer is that's a personal choice. Doing so will shorten the life of the SSD (compared to the situation of not using an SSD for timeshifting). Also IMO it probably doesn't make a huge difference to channel change speed. IMHO the bigger speed factor would probably be tuner driver/hardware and whether MP, TV Server and TV Server's database are running from the SSD. That's why I wouldn't do it.

- I used to have timeshifting and recording folder on same drive. Should I keep timeshifting on a dedicated one and another for recording.
    IMHO for most people with only few simultaneous clients/recordings this would make almost zero difference in most cases.

- Can anyone recommend the best drives to use for timeshifting in terms of longevity
    In general HDDs will last longer if your usage pattern involves lots of writing (as timeshifting and recording does). SSD cells have a limit to the number of writes they can do before they fail.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom