Ongoing Best Home Theater Case? (1 Viewer)

Geon106

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
Kent, England
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a new home theater case for my media centre, i'd like to go to full ATX to fit the motherboard that i've leap-frogged from my gaming PC which is ATX, plus to support a full ATX PSU.

Can anyone post any details of cases costing up to around the £100-£130 mark that can be delivered in the UK?

I'd also if possible have one with the LCD screen on the front.

Ramjet99

Portal Member
June 22, 2007
WELLINGTON
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Have a look at the Silverstone GD01-MX

I have got this running with MediaPortal for display and remote control.

Passed the critical WAF as well...

Access to HDD with my mobo is quite tight, but very pleased overall with choice on this.:D

mgithens

Portal Member
December 25, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have a silverstone and can't really complain, the edges are sharp - as in cut yourself... they discontinued my model, I paid $100 and it looks nice in the den... the downside is that LEDs do NOT pass the WAF... the blue leds lit up the room at night, the HDD red led is doable, but the accent lighting had to go... constant complaints...

pezzer

Portal Member
December 27, 2007
Home Country
Hi,

What do you guys think about this case? It doesn't have a LCD screen though.

http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.php?pr_index=77&cl_index=1&sc_index=1&ss_index=34&type=b

I'm looking into parts for my first HTPC also and will consider this case. The silverstone case that someone mentioned looks pretty good too.

Have you looked at the Zalman cases? They appear to have some good LCD screens.

Can I ask why you want an LCD screen? I'm asking because i've not really thought about that part yet and was wondering on the advantages of having one.

Cheers

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I like it, but its huge...435 x 167 x 443mm (W.H.D)...make sure that you are not surprised when you see it the first time :D :D

pezzer

Portal Member
    December 27, 2007
    Home Country
    You know what I've just measured it compared to mi IBM work desktop and its the same size. I think i'm going to take another look at the cases on offer.
    Cheers for the heads up.

mgithens

Portal Member
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Pezzer, about the only benefit to having a touchscreen on the front is so that you can setup recordings while the TV is off... to me, it isn't worth paying hundreds more for a screen that serves a single purpose. It will display exactly what is on your TV, and I would find it distracting, especially during night viewing...

I think the money would be better spent elsewhere...

mgithens

Portal Member
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    I would estimate about 6X the cost... so in USD $100 for a decent case and about $600 for one with LCD.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    An LCD screen on the case is very expensive.
    A VFD display is about $50 To $100 US.

Before you buy any case measure the space you want to put it in. Some of these cases are pretty big. My Thermaltake is ok width and Height wise but it's deeper than my stereo components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom