Best multiseat setup including MP-Extended & WebMediaPortal & aMPdroid & etc. (1 Viewer)

BlackBurn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been a Mediaportal users for several years now and I've seen it grow from an unstable "geeky" product, to a fantastic (the best?) media center solution.
    So when I moved a year ago I decided I wanted a multiseat set-up, two dedicated cliënts (bed- & living room) and a separate (virtualized) TV-Server.

While this setup is working great, there are still some flaws in this design, probably, cause MP1 is never build to be used as a multiseat environment (client - server).

The first thing I noticed was that I had two separated media databases, which didn't coincide.
    Luckily soon there where plugins like follw.it and trakt, which at least keep track of everything watched & unwatched.
    (I never tried this solution from the wiki, cause both mediacenters are more then once running simultaneously)

Now a lots of new functionality goes beyond the MP Cliënt, like aMPDroid & WebMediaPortal.
    So I'm looking for a way to run those new plugins, knowing that the only system which is up for 24/7, is the TV-Server.

I was thinking about placing the MP Cliënt on the TV-server, but this would be the third cliënt which would only be installed to create a third database for communicating with the plugins and would never be used to watch anything. The other thing is how do I make sure the MP Cliënt is started once in a while, so the media databases are updated, but the cliënt isn't taking memory or processing power away from the TV-service.

Has anyone here experience with a setup like I described above and using plugins like WebMediaPortal?
    Please let me know how you did solve these problems or if you have any ideas about how an ideal setup would look like. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom