Best Practice for episodes/specials not listed on thetvdb? (1 Viewer)

bta489

Portal Pro
March 17, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,

I have several episodes/specials that are not listed on thetvdb.com. In some cases I did some research and found that thetvdb was just using a different name and I changed my filenames accordingly, no problem there. But other times the special is not listed and the series is locked (or even worse, the special won't be added because it doesn't meet all criteria for a special).

For instance the official Recap of Seasons 1-3 from Lost (LOST in 8:15). I now have it named as "Lost - S00E00 - Lost in 8-15", which appeared to work at first, as it was displayed in the GUI, but every now and then it gets reimported, overwriting all my manually added Metadata and (most annoyingly) marked as recent and unwatched.

Is there a way to use manual metadata for those episodes?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @bta489, there is no solution for a show at TheTVdB to have non-existing episodes with custom title/artwork. It is either exclusive TheTVdB, or your own custom one. This is explained in the readme @ GitHub - damienhaynes/mptvseries: Automatically exported from code.google.com/p/mptvseries under "Importing" section. The key is to activate "Ignore on Scan" on the custom one, but that will then disable a TheTVdB show from updating if it is still active. Now in the case of "Lost" the series is over, so it would actually work for that scenario by converting it over to a fully custom one, or a hybrid (what you were doing, but the ignore on scan will ensure it doesn't get overwritten).

Another option is to add episodes that do not exist at TheTVdB, but then they will be added at the discretionary way of MP-TVSeries, assuming you adjusted your configuration to allow for that (forgot the setting, but it is there).

bta489

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's what I suspected. Thank you for your quick response ( as always ).

I will rename them to not fit any parsing pattern and watch them from the Videos-Plugin. It's not worth the hassle to work against the plugin for specials I don't want to watch regularly but only once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom