Best Practise -> buffering / caching large files? (1 Viewer)

loadme

Portal Pro
January 7, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey MovPic Team and loyal fellows,

as you may already saw in the other topic (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/feature-request-filter-by-bandwidth.113438/)

I'm using a remote MP client with moving pictures. That's the reason why I always run into trouble, when buffering movies that are simply to large to be loaded via internet.

Besides a possible "Bandwidth Filter" (see link above), is there any other way about how I could properly adress this issue? Maybe its already solved with some super expert setting, that I simply oversaw the last year?

Worst case (my current state): Movie starts stuttering because I dont see any filesize (and cant filter for any) and it ran out of cached data while I was already watching it.

Best case: Before I start a movie, there is some detail in the description, that tells me how long to wait for it to be cached (buffering) given the current bandwith. Then starting it and seeing this time as a timer ticking down. "ready to view in.. 7 minutes.."

But I know, that's quite a lot to ask for. That's why it would also help a lot to simply let users create by bandwidth (movie in kb / its duration in sec). That could probably being implemented with only a small effort.

Whatever you could come up with would already be a big step towards allowing a comfortable access of data via the internet using moving pictures.

Thanks for all the effort!

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    did you try mpExtended?
    It has movingPicture support as far as I know and converts the videos on the fly to a lower quality which means lower bandwidth :)

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have had a look and from my understanding you will need at least a running windows client in order to make it work.
    My setup on the other hand exists of a linux fileserver and a "svn-paired network"-connection, so I dont think this will work.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ah okay, didn't know that ;)
    Yes you need a windows machine to run mpExtended, typically you use the TvServer machine.
    The client can be everything (linux/ios/android/windows/mac...)

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok maybe I should clarify then:

its a fully setup remote client which accesses a fileserver via internet and therefore always suffers bandwidth limitations.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Caching/buffering wont help.... what you are implying is that your internet connection is not large enough to sustain the constant required bandwidth to the deliver the data (movie)??

You are buffering up front... but if the connection is not large enough to sustain the cache (as you are consuming quicker than feeding) then unless you virtually buffer the whole movie (or enough to fill the buffer minus the consumption rate).

If you can't/dont want to increase your bandwidth (and want to use the full blown MePo client), then potentially you have three options:

Reduce the bandwidth requirement of the movie (which normally equates to reduced quality)
    Use a technology that does WAN optimisation
    Have a massive cache on the client (which will mean you will have to wait unless for the cache to prime before the movie starts)

Presenting a cacheing prompt/time to view might be an option, but I assume will require a lot of work :(

J.

Last edited:

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for summing up things.

Thats makes me jump back to my initial post, where I proposed a filter setting to deal with bandwith limits.. meaning: fade everything out, thats to big for your connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom