Best replacement remote? (1 Viewer)

scythe000

Portal Pro
July 6, 2008
I have a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center OEM remote (A9O-00007). (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880100851). I love it. But nobody is even selling it anymore.

Here's what I like:
1. Backlit buttons.
2. Plug and play with MP1.
3. No stupid LCD.
4. I can program the button in Learning Mode.
5. No extra buttons I don't need.

What do you guys think would be a good replacement for it?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi,

I just use the generic MCE RC6 remotes that are about £12 off eBay. They work 'out of the box'. I am unsure if they would fulfill your item no. 4. If you search eBay for "MCE remote RC6" quite a few should show up.

scythe000

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2008
    Searching for MCE remote RC6 brings up 5 or 6 different models. It looks like RC6 is just the type of IR technology it uses. None appear to have backlit keys.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I do have one out of four 'identical' remotes with backlit keys. It was just the way it came. I tend to use this type of remote as it offers consistency throughout my house and it just works, no hassle..(consistency is easier for the GF, and improves the WAF too :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

mrkk

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi,

also looking for replacement for my many Microsoft MCEs with learning buttons, like here

http://deonvanrhyn.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/xbmc-microsoft-mce-remote-control-review/

Best thing with these has been the "status quo".

I've had many number of these and used MP and MCE-Remote for over 5 years.

These years with MP we've managed with only one remote per TV and GF is very happy :)

As these are not manufactured anymore, I've scraped more on second hand market...

I've tried and looked for replacement, with no luck...

I would also be very interested if anyone has good ones to recommend... with learning capable volume and power-buttons...

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1 for cheap MCE clone remotes off ebay. ~$10-25USD incl P&P

Let me know if you find one with learning buttons + backlit, that I haven't seen

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Why don't all remotes have backlit? I don't have one like that, but it would seem like I need it every time I watch a movie. All cellphones come with backlit keys standard, you don't get one without. So why does remotes come with no backlit... the same goes for laptop keyboards... really no reason to not have back lit keys...

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I got a remote when I bought my Xbox 360 that I think will work with my MCE remote receiver. Anyone tried this combo? My MCE remote is still going strong, bur the Back button isn't registering presses as well as when I got it. ;)

Emph

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ok i asked about a specific remote that is backlight and learning capable with no reply, wonder if anyone has tried one yet and if there any good linky

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom