Best resolution on a 32" LCD widescreen (1 Viewer)

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
Just play around with PowerStrip. The solution is there.

Have looked for powerstrip guides?

J-B-N

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I bought a JVC 32" TV last week and it turned out that the panel can display 1366x768 only using the internal interfaces (ie the anlog tuner). On the external DVI/SCART interface it could only accept 1024x768. So from what I understand there can be a difference between the Panels resolution and the resolution the TV accept.

My conclusion for my personal case is that I have to return this TV and get a new one that accepts 1366x768 on DVI/HDMI or PC-VGA.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
Well if he gets a new one, better make sure to be 1920x1080 native (which is True HD).

Anyway I doubt there is any IMPOSED limitation on DVI/VGA (esp. VGA) and I am 90% sure that propert tweaking with powerstrip CAN give you 1366x768.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
yes why not - I would prefer VGA 1:1 than DVI with overscan, if I cannot do otherwise...

JanArild

Portal Member
March 20, 2006
Norway
Hi. Back with the result. ;-)

I've got the pc to vga showing 1280x720. So far so good. But the picture is not crystal clear so i've ordered a dvi to hdtv adapter for my ati radeon 9600 card + component cables. http://www.svideo.com/radeon9600pro.html Then I hope i will get crystal clear picture and the lcd is supporting 720P so I guess this will be the best result. Will post status when I get the adapter.

Jan Arild

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

PowerStrip isn't always working in this situation. Some LCD TV's (like mine) have some stupid configuration in their EDID and thus not allowing the display to be driven by their native resolution. :?

Since many display drivers obey what's been told to them by the EDID you just can't work around the "scrolling desktop" issue, unless you can tell the display driver to completely ignore what's been told by the EDID (and risk your display being damaged by wrong resolutions/timing etc.).

This issue usually arises when you try to use DVI instead of analog VGA. That's mainly the reason why I use the Omega drivers for my ATi card (instead of ATi's Catalyst drivers). YMMV.

EDIT: If you wanna find out if it's the EDID causing this for you, there are some tools available which allow you to read this information from your display. BTW, the PowerStrip forum has much more info on this topic.

Kind regards,
    Michel

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    scoop said:
    Since many display drivers obey what's been told to them by the EDID you just can't work around the "scrolling desktop" issue, unless you can tell the display driver to completely ignore what's been told by the EDID (and risk your display being damaged by wrong resolutions/timing etc.).

I have never heard of a LCD TV or monitor being damaged by wrong timings(and this comes from someone who accidently fed my 20" monitor a 720x576i 50Hz signal :). Just ignore the EDID.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I agree. LCDs have safety systems and just switch off.

Ignore EDID and make a nice 1366x768 driver.

Also bare in mind that too many cables and connectors and adapters between you computer and the TV are not a good thing.

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

This never happened to me either, but I'm not gonna guarantee it. ;-)
    My point is that for me it wasn't enough to just disable "hide resolutions which cannot be displayed" in control panel -> display -> diplay tab. I had to use different drivers before it was ignored.

Kind regards,
    Michel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom