Best Small Form Factor PC (Cheapest/Play HD etc) (1 Viewer)

kellizer2

Portal Member
December 3, 2006
I’m considering coming back to mediaportal as I’m disillusioned with VMCE current processes lack of support related to extenders (lack of codec support). I’ve been playing with RC3 and it seems Rock Solid.

I need some advice on getting the best “Client PC” that would fit neatly into my living room media components and basically replace my XBOX360 as the media extender. I have a "Tv Server" PC in the cellar so it will not need to have any large HD or TV Tuners

I’ve been looking at the Acer L3100 ( Acer Aspire L3600 Review Hardware Tech Review : Review On The Latest PC Hardware, Accessories, Gadgets, Mobile Phones and Video Game Consoles On The Market ) & L5100 but they retail at around 300 GBP & that seems tad expensive (I will need 2).
So – my requirements are;
• Sexy Looking (not a standard tower)
• Quiet
• Run on a 37inch HD-TV (HDMI/DVI)
• Should be-able to run H.264 content.
• Have a DVD player

Any advice or experience of choosing this type of hardware would be greatly appreciated
Many Thanks
Ian.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm not sure you'll be pleased with the GMA X300 for HD in the Acer. I've just "usurped" my onboard G35 with an ATI 3450 GPU card, and the difference is just amazing. The Intel drivers / hardware are just not as clever or configurable as the ATI / Nvidia IMHO. I had lots of problems with overscanning on the HDMI interface, and very slight but annoying judder with HD MPEG 2. All gone with the ATI.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Yes Wyzazz, the Acer x1200 with the Nvidia 8200 IGP looks like a better choice if its HD you want. Certainly well spec'd for memory and CPU. Nice price too. Be interested to hear how you go if you get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom