best version of ffdshow? (1 Viewer)

nst6563

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
anyone know what the best version of ffdshow is that works with the internal player? I'm using 4-06-05 and I have horrible micr-freezing and stuttering problems even with a minimal set of filters enabled.

I'm going to tryt some others tonight, but are there any versions that are known to work very well or use low(er) cpu usage???

setup:
Asus P4P800S-dlx
3.2ghz P4
1Gb DDR400
Onboard sound via 5.1 out to Sony ES reciever
6600GT agp w/most recent drivers (DVI out)
Fusion HDTV5 Gold (TV seems to work fine ;) )
XP SP2 w/updates
MediaPortal .2 rc2 (tried cvs versions, but all exhibit the micro-freezing/stuttering)
ffdshow 4-06-2005
Nvidia Purevideo decoders for video decoding
ffdshow for audio codecs (tried AC3filter and MP default as well)

thanks!

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hi there

a question that repeadedly gets answered, but here it is again

ffdshow 2004-10-12 ..availible on the mp homepage download section here
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,35/func,fileinfo/id,15/

its an older version but its *VERY* stable and i have never had real problems with

when i install it....i make sure i disable the AC3 in the "audio filter configuration" , as well as all the other audio options *except* MP3 ... as i get the MP3/AC3/DTS/LPCM audio filter (the one included with MP) to to all of my audio decoding...and the ffdshow can get in the way sometimes

so in the end i only use ffdshow for video decoding and not audio decoding (except for mp3)

nst6563

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2005
    thanks. I didn't come across that when I searched ealier (it was a quick search and I was frustrated at that point, so I do apologize).

I installed that version and had thought the stuttering went away, but it hasn't. I've even tried giving the DVICO card it's own IRQ and even removed it from the system to see if that was causing it.

The filters in ffdshow I'm running are (in the respective order)
    Levels
    Sharpening xsharpen strength 20, threshold 100
    Blur & NR -3d noise .5, .5, 5
    Resize - 1824x1016, Bicubic.

also...if I'm outputing to my TV at 1824x1016 @ 60hz (progressive) then do I also need to de-interlace the source (normally a DVD)?

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ok..which mpeg2 video decoder r u using for DVD? ffdshow? or another?

are u using ffdshow to post-process your DVD?

nst6563

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2005
    video decoder is the nvidia codec. I have postprocessing checked though.

unless I'm understanding wrong...that's what I have selected as the codec in the MP setup.

In ffdshow, it's all default on the codecs with the exception of RAW Video = All Supported.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    well..ok

in my experience adding post-processing to the whole setup will make your PC slower and cause more microfreezing

if u want better quality by way of post processing then u must set it in both ffdshow config and MP's setup app

if u want to remove the microfreezing, u might want to check the CPU load of MP(hit alt+control+delete to bring up task manager) and any other apps.....and see if anything is stealing precious CPU % away from MP

also....use the mp3/ac3/dts/lpcm audio filter for audio codec and also use DVD Navigator for proper DVD playback in MP

nst6563

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2005
    The only reason I don't like to use the mp3/ac3/dts/lpcm audio filter is because I prefer to normalize the sound, and the ffdshow audio filter gives me more control over that. I've also got both MP setup for postprocessing as well as ffdshow's filters.

I'll give it another shot here in a minute, but when I had ffdshow's cpu usage on the screen while playing a movie, it never went above 55%.

I've always used MP's DVD Navigator...never had any luck with anything else.

nst6563

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2005
    FYI, I figured out the cause of the micro-freezing. I was using the audio codecs to normalize the sound. If I don't normalize the sound, and just pass it through my optical out, then it works just fine.

Guess I need a faster machine if I want to normalize the sound as well as upscale the video :wink:

phil-t

March 2, 2006
    While on the topic of FFDSHOW, I am using the one listed above..

But I am confused over the post processing option in MP, if I enable Raw Video -> All Supported in FFDSHOW, then ffdshow post processes irrespective of the post processing tick box in MP.. which makes me wonder under what scenario does the FFDSHOW Postprocessing tick box in MP actually worK??? I suspect I am doing something wrong..

And I had to use FFDSHOW audio decoder to software encode an ac-3 stream for WMV_HD audio tracks to get the multichannel audio sent via SPDIF, this works in Zoom Player, but if I select FFSHOW as the Audio decoder in MP, it doesn't seem to use it, as the AC-3 encoding is not performed..

Is there anyway of getting the FFSHOW decoder settings up while playing a movie, like in zoom player??? I was going to use zoomplayer as the default video player, but I like MP's in built one, in so far as it seems to play a wider range of sources..

sorry about all the noob questions, but I am just a little confused.

nst6563

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2005
    as far as I know, checking the Raw video supported to "all" simply allows ffdshow to "process" all types of raw video that are passed to it and not just the specific ones specified. The checkbox in MP doesn't effect that setting and that setting doesn't effect the checkbox in MP.

If you check the box in MP to use ffdshow, it simply connects the "output pins " to the "input pins" on ffdshow so that it will process it.

As far as the audio is concerned...I have no clue. I've never been able to get 5.1 audio from WMV HD content over SPDIF. I've only tried with MP using the ffdshow, Dscaler, built in MP codec, AC3-Filter, and Nvidia. None would output 5.1 WMV HD over SPDIF. Only PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom