Best way to get audio and video to a second TV in the house? (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, just wondering if anyone else is doing this. I'm thinking of rigging mp up to a second tv in the bedroom but I'm worried about buying a small form factor htpc in case its not powerful enough so wanted to investigate streaming it. My thought would be to just use an ir extended to get the control sorted (or mepo remote) but does anyone have experience of how to get the A/V over?

Wireless would be nice but I do need 1080p video. My graphics card has a spare vga and a display port so anything hdmi would need to allow passthru for the main TV. A yone do something similar and would like to share their thought?

Thanks!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    If within 20 metres could get away with a splitter and a 20 metre hdmi cable.

Otherwise the money your paying to extend will be better spent on a second system imo

Considering the benefits of being able to watch different channels/movies

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hmm, so these Zotac boxes look interesting and quite cheap compared to some of the higher end streaming hdmi with remote pc control support I found after some googling..

This one in the wiki powerful enough to work as a client for 1080i HDTV and 1080p mkv etc with LAV codecs?? Zotac ZBOX and I presume they just need some memory and a SSD and it will run windows 7 ok etc..

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Some of the AD06 boxes include Memory and a HDD, they have lots of different prebuilt options and configurations, It's all listed on the website. It will be fine with 1080P and will work well with LAC codecs. They are plenty fast enough for Windows 7. I would try and go for 4GB of RAM rather than 2GB, you can either buy a barebones one and add 4GB, or a 2GB version and buy an extra 2GB stick to add. It will *probably* be ok for 1080i Live TV. It definitely wont be as fast as a MicroATX build. The barebones version is probably a better option, as I wouldn't want a 5400rpm drive for my OS drive, I'd get a SATA HDD 64/128GB or a 7200rpm 2.5" HDD.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I have two Zotac ID41's as clients. Both have a 32Gb SSD and 2Gb RAM. They output via HDMI in full HD to wall mounted TV's in the kitchen and bedroom - in both rooms the Zotac box is mounted to the rear of the TV so it cannot be seen. I use a MCE RC6 remote with them both and the IR receiver is fixed to the top of the TV, and they are both connected to a gigabit network. I have no problems in watching full HD TV with them. This is the unit >>here<<

They could be a bit quicker to boot up and load MP, but once up and running they play everything fine. I use LAV filters on both units. The GF also uses them without problem and she IS critical and keen on whining; well, she is always telling me where I'm going wrong :rolleyes:

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi, just wondering if anyone else is doing this. I'm thinking of rigging mp up to a second tv in the bedroom but I'm worried about buying a small form factor htpc in case its not powerful enough so wanted to investigate streaming it. My thought would be to just use an ir extended to get the control sorted (or mepo remote) but does anyone have experience of how to get the A/V over?

Wireless would be nice but I do need 1080p video. My graphics card has a spare vga and a display port so anything hdmi would need to allow passthru for the main TV. A yone do something similar and would like to share their thought?

Thanks!
    My PC in study room connects to AVR in living room via a 20m HDMI cable and then another 10M HDMI cable from AVR to projector. I made a shortcut to switch between the two display, and use my ios device to control the HTPC (which is even better than IR I think)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom