Best way to output DTS Audio (1 Viewer)

TioSolid

Portal Member
March 21, 2009
Hi! Im building and HTPC and was wondering about the audio. Im going to connect my computer to my TV using a standard HDMI cable. Since I have a Nvidia card I need to route the spdif output to the card in order to get video + audio in the same cable. The problem is that I will have to build a cable to do that from the back panel plug since my motherboard does not have the "jumper-like" connection for that.

My question is: does routing the audio that way will give me any benefit instead of just running a cable from my sound card direclty to the TV? Im mainly talking about DTS and AC3 5.1 audio here :)

riadmelb

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Melbourne
Home Country
Hi there,

If you route the audio via optical/coax separately to the TV, then there is no difference at all if you compare it with an integrated audio in hdmi cable, because both will pass a 5.1 in a digital format, and the tv will decode it without a difference.

TioSolid

Portal Member
March 21, 2009
Thanks very much for your reply. I asked because there is no way to direclty connect the SPDIF output from the motherboard into the TV. Routing the video signal through HDMI (at last with my tv set) gives you two options: routing the audion inside the HDMI cable OR connecting a RCA pair (with a Left and Right signal). Looks like routing the audio inside the HDMI cable is the best option for me

bazzz

Portal Pro
March 29, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Home Country
Canada Canada
If your TV only has stereo speakers, you might just as well connect to the TV with regular stereo jacks and set up your filters to decode DTS/AC3 to stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom