Best way to output DTS Audio (1 Viewer)

TioSolid

Portal Member
March 21, 2009
Hi! Im building and HTPC and was wondering about the audio. Im going to connect my computer to my TV using a standard HDMI cable. Since I have a Nvidia card I need to route the spdif output to the card in order to get video + audio in the same cable. The problem is that I will have to build a cable to do that from the back panel plug since my motherboard does not have the "jumper-like" connection for that.

My question is: does routing the audio that way will give me any benefit instead of just running a cable from my sound card direclty to the TV? Im mainly talking about DTS and AC3 5.1 audio here :)

riadmelb

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Melbourne
Home Country
Hi there,

If you route the audio via optical/coax separately to the TV, then there is no difference at all if you compare it with an integrated audio in hdmi cable, because both will pass a 5.1 in a digital format, and the tv will decode it without a difference.

TioSolid

Portal Member
March 21, 2009
Thanks very much for your reply. I asked because there is no way to direclty connect the SPDIF output from the motherboard into the TV. Routing the video signal through HDMI (at last with my tv set) gives you two options: routing the audion inside the HDMI cable OR connecting a RCA pair (with a Left and Right signal). Looks like routing the audio inside the HDMI cable is the best option for me

bazzz

Portal Pro
March 29, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Home Country
Canada Canada
If your TV only has stereo speakers, you might just as well connect to the TV with regular stereo jacks and set up your filters to decode DTS/AC3 to stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Thanks MM for your help. Last I said I was getting channels but the tuner wasn't tuning any channels. Went through your setup wiki once more and now I have TV again! Thanks again...on to fine tune it now.
Thanks MM for your help. Last I said I was getting channels but the tuner wasn't tuning any channels. Went through your setup wiki...
Been using WMC since 2013 using Hauppage DCR-2650 with cable card and Verizon FIOS. Now that MS pulled the plug on EPG data, I...
Replies
Views
Hello!!! I use a handy app called catchin' sync to roughly check the AV sync of audio/video on my HTPC/TV. It's not as accurate as a dedicated opto-electronic calibrator but it's more than adequate for this application and much better than trying to do things by eye (even when the lack of sync is massively obvious, subjective...
Hello!!! I use a handy app called catchin' sync to roughly check the AV sync of audio/video on my HTPC/TV. It's not as accurate as...
Hello!!! I use a handy app called catchin' sync to roughly check the AV sync of audio/video on my HTPC/TV. It's not as accurate as...
Replies
Views
Hello and welcome to MediaPortal! Most of your questions are very standard and repeatedly asked - and replied to. ;) Asimple internet search should give you plenty of answers, that you need of course to find your way through. Hardware is not decisive, both will work I recommend to drop SD and use the "EPG-Buddy" in connection with...
Hello and welcome to MediaPortal! Most of your questions are very standard and repeatedly asked - and replied to. ;) Asimple...
It's looking like SageTV and it's support is dying a slow death at this point so I am looking at alternatives. I have a few...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, though I might say that I seem to be having the same issues. Not my keyboard playing up, but my logitech G903 mouse is very unresponsive. yet to test HID demo and see what it brings up but will have to do when im back in town from work. Will be keeping any eye on this thread to see what you find.
Hey guys, though I might say that I seem to be having the same issues. Not my keyboard playing up, but my logitech G903 mouse is...
Before you create this bug report: Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the...
Replies
Views
Just wanted to clarify this, or perhaps muddy the waters further, but I cannot be sure if I ever ran my AVR with Win 7. Before I bought the AVR I had the HTPCs audio line out connected to an old stereo amp and I got the AVR in Nov. 2015. The Win 7-10 free upgrade was available from the Summer of 2015 and I know I did not switch the...
Just wanted to clarify this, or perhaps muddy the waters further, but I cannot be sure if I ever ran my AVR with Win 7. Before I...
I know this is a frequent issue, but I've never seen a post with a resolution. Perhaps someone can help direct me. Every HTPC...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom