Better photo section in MP (1 Viewer)

nph12

Portal Member
March 23, 2010
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hello
I try again:) I think MP should have a better Photo section and I have these improvement suggestions:

1) Support Raw formats (DNG) - MCE can with fastpictureviewer codec pack shows RAW pictures so it should also be possibly in MP!

2) View metadata in slideshow (EXIF and IPTC metadata) - just like you can with zoner photo studio!

3) Show where the picture is taken (Google street map)

4) Show histogram

5) Show picture with XMP sidecar file (and included adobe sidecar file)

I hope there and other people on this forum there have the same wishes that I have:) I hope my improvement suggestions will be at see in MP2 or a plug-in to MP. Maybe we need a plug-in group that develop photo plug-ins.

paalkr

Portal Pro
June 30, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
Great effort! sort pictures based on EXIF date taken is maybe the feature I miss the most in MP! If (when?) that is solved, MP will become perfect, at least for my needs :)

Regards,
PK

nfcc

Portal Member
May 14, 2008
Good evening to all.

What i realy need is the stretch zoom mode like in my videos, pictures in 4/3 or 3/2 have to be edited to fit 16/9.
For me this is a must have.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi paalkr: That is available in the current version already. Just scan your picture db from config and switch the view.

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi paalkr: That is available in the current version already. Just scan your picture db from config and switch the view.

Sort on date is available as a view mode, that's correct. Problem is that the date populated in the database is not the EXIF picture taken date, but the file time stamp form OS level.

I would also prefer sort on EXIF date in folder view as well.

Regards,
    PK

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ehhm, the way I originally implemented the patch was that it used the exif date taken. I have not looked at the code for a long time, but why should that change?

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ehhm, the way I originally implemented the patch was that it used the exif date taken. I have not looked at the code for a long time, but why should that change?

In both folder view and date view? I think maybe that the date view sorts the pictures based on the EXIF date taken, but not in folder view. If I'm wrong something strange is happening in my setup, where in folder view the pictures are sorted alphabetically.

Sort on date is available as a view mode, that's correct. Problem is that the date populated in the database is not the EXIF picture taken date, but the file time stamp form OS level.

I would also prefer sort on EXIF date in folder view as well.

Regards,
    PK

Sorry, I slightly miss phrased that. The time stamp in the database could very well be the EXIF date taken. My main problem is that the pictures seems to be sorted alphabetically when displayed in folder view. I like to use folder view for browsing my picture collection, and at the same time sort the pictures in each folder based on EXIF date taken.

Hopefully, this was slightly clearer. English is not my native language :oops:

Regards,
    PK

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ah, that is more clear. But alas not available and not easily possible at the moment. MP either reads the database (which contains exif data) or it reads the file system (which contains the the shares and paths and only the file dates). You would either need a "hybrid" view or a show pic db by folder structre.

There are quite a few things that should be improved in my Pics (in my humble opinion) but there is no strong dev support for my pictures at the moment. I do not have enough time currently to do patches, so maybe the dev team could pick up poor my pics again?

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ah, that is more clear. But alas not available and not easily possible at the moment. MP either reads the database (which contains exif data) or it reads the file system (which contains the the shares and paths and only the file dates). You would either need a "hybrid" view or a show pic db by folder structre.

There are quite a few things that should be improved in my Pics (in my humble opinion) but there is no strong dev support for my pictures at the moment. I do not have enough time currently to do patches, so maybe the dev team could pick up poor my pics again?

A very precise description, thanks! I understand that the TV and movie functionality get more focus, but pictures is a very important part of a good media portal in my opinion. How do we convince devs to spend time on my pictures? :)

Regards,
    PK

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Re: Better photo section in MP

A very precise description, thanks! I understand that the TV and movie functionality get more focus, but pictures is a very important part of a good media portal in my opinion. How do we convince devs to spend time on my pictures? :)

Regards,
    PK
    Hi PK, mbuzina,
    actually we know about the "weak parts", already picked them up and working on them. So yes, we will have the myPics part improved - due to the current featurefreeze unfortunately not with 1.2, but it will come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom