Better support for multiple audio channel video and Subtitles (1 Viewer)

DranDane

Portal Member
March 26, 2007
I have a movie in XviD format. I have 3 subtitle files. One for English, one for French and one for Spanish. It's impossible to easely cicle these three files. The subtitle button on the remote doesn't work. If I want to watch the TV with my girlfriend who speak spanish (I speak french) I must choose the english subtitles because it's impossible to display two sources of subtitle. My old DVD player of 20€ do that. MP (500€ for a good HTPC) is not able to display natively subtitles.

DranDane

Portal Member
March 26, 2007
Yes, i know but why am I obliged to install VobSub ? It's ridiculous. MPlayer and VLC or others are able to show my subtitle without this VobSub ? Why MP don't ?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Yes, i know but why am I obliged to install VobSub ? It's ridiculous. MPlayer and VLC or others are able to show my subtitle without this VobSub ? Why MP don't ?

Its ridiculous to reinvet the wheel. Its almost the same as you would be asking us to write video & audio decoders and not to use the ones that are already available. ...or maybe even the OS itself...

Now why VLC has internal support for subtitles? Its because they arent able to use direct show filters and have to do extra work. MPC on the other hand has that vobsub (or the oether one... cannot remember correctly) integrated (as the MPC and subtitle filters are the same guy).

DranDane

Portal Member
    March 26, 2007
    Its ridiculous to reinvet the wheel.

Agree but if the wheel is broken or not a correct circle it may be a good idea to use another...

Another idea should be to include VobSub in MP (and perhaps the other codecs). I'm a geek... well... we are all geek here but the most people doesn't know what vobsub and a codec is. Is perhaps a solution to distribute MP with a full and light version. What i would like to say is when I install MP it should work without any other intervention. Not especially for me but for people that like video but not computers.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ...but for people that like video but not computers.

Those are the magic words. There is no need to try to lure people who arent using computer to use HTPC. Its just not going to work. There are so much OS level tinkering when it comes to HTPC (drivers, codecs, HW acceleration...) that its probably just a bad idea to try to get a working setup for a computer illiterate people.

DVD player + settop box is enough for the 99.999% of the people... rest know how to solve their issues :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom