Bit confused - the current state of Mediaportal 1 and 2. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,

Apologies if this is a bit of of an obvious question but I am starting to get a bit confused about all the latest Mediaportal developments.

I am currently using Mediaportal 1.4 Final Client but had to swap the Mediaportal Server for Argust TV's backend as I was finding that I was getting too many clashes when I tried to set recordings (I only have a single DVB-S2 Tuner and two DVB-T Tuner Card). The combination is working brilliantly but I noticed that Mediaportal 2 now appears to be really coming along.

I am not really sure that I ever really understood what Mediaportal 2 was, even though it was constantly being talked about on here, but from I have read it really does seem to have some major advantages.

I was just wondering what the general feeling was for its use.

Have many people now switched over from MP1 to MP2 or is there any reason why both appear to still be under heavy development?

Also, what have been the main updates to MP2 Server? Have there been any updates in terms of the way scheduling is handled - i.e. the reason I had to move over to Argus?

Many thanks

Alex

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We are working on the next public release of MP2, it will be "Alpha 3". It is stable already and in many parts ready for daily use.

The TV part is a bit more complex:
    • The SlimTV-Client is working already, with MPExtended/TvServer, "TVE35" NativeTV and AFAIK also with Argus as backend
    • The client features allow watching TV (single + PiP), providing a basic (but extensible!) EPG which allow scheduling simple recordings (no series features added yet)
    For your situation I would recommend t test Alpha 3 + SlimTV (+ Argus provider), it will be available in few weeks. Testing of MP2 won't interfere with MP1, so it's safe.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Morpheus,

Seems I am a bit behind the times with all this.

So am I correct in thinking that Alpha 3 will be in two parts - the Client and Server and that I could use the Client only part with the Argus TV backend?

What is the significance of SlimTV-Client?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Right - I am with you now.

I forgot that the TV part was a plugin of MP 1 but that it came already installed.

So SlimTV is just the name for the TV plugin for MP2?

When you say Alpha 3, SlimTV and Argus TV all together - is that to say I should install MP2 Client only with Argust TV as a backend? If I do this, am I missing out on any of the benefits of the MP2 Server Engine?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Oh hang on - sorry. Just read your last e-mail again.

So the TV plugin is for the Server rather than each client. Does this mean that I would need to install MP2 Client and Server and then add Argus TV as a plugin rather than as the sole backend?

Sorry if I am overcomplicating this.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    So the TV plugin is for the Server rather than each client. Does this mean that I would need to install MP2 Client and Server and then add Argus TV as a plugin rather than as the sole backend?
    No, not really.
    You need to install one MP2 Server, x MP2 Client(s) and one! of the following three options for Live TV. You can use 1) an existing MP1 TV Server or 2) an existing ArgusTV Server or 3) you can use the "native" MP2 TV Engine which (and only this) will be a plugin of the MP2 Server. In addition you need the corresponding SlimTV Client Plugin on every MP2 Client you want to watch LiveTV with.

when will the development of mp 1 be stopped?
    Not in near future.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Lehmden,

Thanks for clarifying - I can see that MP2 is a bit of a different beast.

I really want to try out MP2 and I note, from the above, that you can do so with out messing up your existing MP1 installation.

So am I correct in thinking that if I install (in addition to MP1) MP2 Server, MP2 Client and the Slim TV on my standalone HPTC, I can give it a try?

If so, does the MP2 Server authomatically link up with the MP1 TV Server?

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    So am I correct in thinking that if I install (in addition to MP1) MP2 Server, MP2 Client and the Slim TV on my standalone HPTC, I can give it a try?
    You also need MPExtended to get MP1 TV Server connected to MP2.

If so, does the MP2 Server authomatically link up with the MP1 TV Server?
    No as it's not needed. If you use MP1 TV Server, then the MP2 Server has nothing to do with LiveTV at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom