Black border around screen when only playing movie file (1 Viewer)

ramyad

Portal Pro
November 21, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win 7 64 bit
CPU Type: i5-2500K
HDD: WD 2TD Caviar Green
Memory: 8GB
Motherboard: ASUS
Video Card: iGPU
Video Card Driver: N/A
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow DXVA
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: Sony Bravi KDL46hx823
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hello

New HTPC owner, self build :) Loving MP!

When I play movies I have a black border around the edge of the movie, however there is no black border in MP or on desktop. For the avoidance of doubt, I am talking about a black border that appears down the left and right side of widescreen movies. It appears like the video has slightly shrunk in all the way round.

Only happens when I play a video. No matter what aspect ratio I use, the picture zoom's inside the border. I am not using any video plugins or anything like that.

Any ideas on what can be causing this and what I should try changing?

EDIT: I checked the logs and found that the video and screen width are different. The video is 1920x800 and the screen area is shorter in width than the screen resolution of 1920x1080:

2011-11-21 23:31:49.740821 [Info.][(40)]: PlaneScene: video WxH : 1920x800
2011-11-21 23:31:49.740821 [Info.][(40)]: PlaneScene: screen WxH : 1851x1041

Is this why the border is present around the screen? What is causing it to reduce the screen widthheight and what do I change? TV is set to pixel mapped with no manual scalling in the intel graphic properties.

I also saw that the ffdshow DXVA cannot be found for h.264, how do I fix that please?

Log file is attached.

Thanks
Ram

ramyad

Portal Pro
November 21, 2011
Home Country
Gave up trying to work it out by myself. I've completely uninstalled and starting again. Checking as I go along.

Steelman1991

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Sounds like you should be looking to increase the 'overscan' setting, from your GPU Settings, or looking at a 1:1 pixel setting in the TV Settings (or both)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The problem is usually ffdshow, have you got a tick by the aspect ratio setting, this causes ffdshow to force it own aspect ratio and you then cannot use any of the zoom settings in MP.

BTW, do not use it, so think its under that name, I know it is on by default if you use SAF package, because of other user complaints.

That's why the Team recommend M$ codecs video and the LAV filters for audio available through the MPEI on your desktop.

ramyad

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Sounds like you should be looking to increase the 'overscan' setting, from your GPU Settings, or looking at a 1:1 pixel setting in the TV Settings (or both)

Thanks, but I did that. Already pixel mapped. Nothing was bleeding off the screen, desktop and MP visible to the edge. Just the movie that had he border all round.

I gave up in the end. Uninstalled everythinf and re-installed. It is now playing the videos and movies at full width.

The problem is usually ffdshow, have you got a tick by the aspect ratio setting, this causes ffdshow to force it own aspect ratio and you then cannot use any of the zoom settings in MP.

BTW, do not use it, so think its under that name, I know it is on by default if you use SAF package, because of other user complaints.

That's why the Team recommend M$ codecs video and the LAV filters for audio available through the MPEI on your desktop.

Thanks, I could change the aspect ratio, just that the video would resize inside the border I was talking about. I tried the microssoft and LV codecs. Nothing I tried changed it so i uninstalled, reinstalled everything and it is now playing videos at full width of the TV.

Thanks for suggestions.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You said:
    I gave up in the end. Uninstalled everythinf and re-installed. It is now playing the videos and movies at full width.
    I too am glad it's working now, but WHAT did you reinstall, how'd you configure things and which codecs are you using? It's in those details that you're now seeing full-screen :)

Dickster

January 31, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am new to mediaportal and spent days reading and configuring and don't want restart.

After adjusting overlay everything works fine exept viewing a tv-serie (mkv). As soon as is starts i get a small black border around the video. Everything works fine when playing audio, watching television or a dvd.

Figured it partly out. In my case it is a problem with an ATI setting. Changed to many setting to figure out which is the setting that needs to be changed. As soon as i find out i will post it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom