Black Screen and no Sound when trying to play DVDs and and watching TV (DVBS) (1 Viewer)

Captain Kirk

Portal Member
January 19, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
TV-Server Version: 1.0 latest SVN
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 latest SVN
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3 wide
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3 with all Updates
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
HDD: Seagate 1,5TB SATA 2
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 PC 800
Motherboard: ASrock A780 Full HD
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 HDMI
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.12
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX
Sound Card AC3: Asus Xonar DX
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.8.1747beta
1. TV Card: Technisat Skystar HD2
1. TV Card Type: Technisat Skystar HD2
1. TV Card Driver: Mantis BDA Driver 1.2
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
h.264 Video Codec: Core AVC

Hi there folks.
I'm reading this Forum for a while now and since i just build my little HTPC and still have Problems to get MP working correctly, i decided to register and try to find help here.
First. I searched the Forums in hope to find a solution to my Problem, but sadly without luck.

So. Here's my Problem i just installed MediaPortal 1.0 Final and have a big Problem playing all kinds of MPEG2 Streams. I have been using MediaPortal in different Versions on my other PC.
When i insert a normal DVD, MP asks me, if it should play the Disc. I click yes, the Screen goes black and nothing happens. I tried different MPEG2 Codecs like PowerDVD 7, WinDVD 9, FFDshow and the MPV Codec. None of them work. They all produce the same black Screen. I'm using VMR9. If i'm using VLC, PowerDVD or WinDVD as Standalone Players, the DVDs play fine but MediaPortal just don't want to play them. On my other PC i'm using MP 1.0 RC4 and the RC4 plays the DVDs fine.
The Second Problem has to do with TV (DVBs)
Since DVBs is streamed with the MPEG2 Codec i'm unable to watch TV inside MediaPortal. If i'm using the Program provided by Technisat, i can watch TV without Problems.
At First i forgot to install the DVBFix so the TV Server Got an Error Message but the Channel Scan completed without Problems and i could map the Channels to my Card. In MediaPortal i could see the Channels but without EPG.
If i switched on TV i got an Error Message that said Could not Start Timeshift and Unable to create Graph.
Radio via the DVBs Card worked without Problems.
So i installed the DVBfix and the Error Message was gone. The Server found all Channels and i was happy. ... for the Moment. So i started up MediaPortal switched to tv but nothing happend. And now MediaPortal does not even show the Channels. It just says "No Channel" "No EPG" Switching on TV produces nothing. It tries to switch on, but it automatically switches itself off without an Error Message. The Preview function inside the TV Server is giving me the Error, Unable to create Graph. And the Radio Channels are still working. So it can't be a Problem with the connection between the TV Server and MediaPortal.
I then tried some different Files such as Divx/Xvid, H264, Quicktime, FLV etc. they all work fine.
Now i'm out of Options.
Maybe someone of you has an idea on how to solve that Problem. :(

Greetings from Germany. :)

BTW: Despite my Problem here, MediaPortal is a great Program. Keep up the good work.

Captain Kirk

Portal Member
January 19, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hm. Ok. I'll attach a the log File as soon as i'm Home. I'm currently at work, so i can't do that right now. But thx for the quick reply.

Edit: Ok, My Problems are gone.
I tried something, that came to my mind on the way back from work. The Black screen was caused bei ffdshow, so i uninstalled ffdshow, and now i'm using the mpv Codec for MPEG2 Streams without Problem. My Television Problem which always said, "Could not start Graph" is gone, too. The Error caused the newest Technisat Skystar HD2 Driver 1.2. So i reverted back to 1.1 which was bundled with the CD that came with the Card. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom