Black screen on TV Recording (1 Viewer)

Hensley

Portal Member
October 9, 2005
ok, will try out this fix later the day ... beside i´m running 640*480 on an old Pioneer 42" Plasma.

regards _Hensley_

Hensley

Portal Member
October 9, 2005
Ok ... this fix works !

- copied new CVS into Mediaportal folder
- deleted calibration640x480.xml
- started MP Configuration and checked settings
- started MP and calibrated the screen
- entered myTV and everything looks fine

Thx for the fast help !

regards _Hensley_

jvb

Portal Member
February 15, 2005
UK
The problem described above is different to the problem I originally reported at the start of this thread. I am getting a TV picture fine, and some recordings are fine, just occasionally its like MediaPortal loses the video feed for a recording and either goes to a black screen or the last frame freezes. I had this problem on a recording made last night, after 53 minutes of watching the screen went black. There was sound, but after a few minutes the counter suddenly pings back to 53 minutes and you can't get to the end of the program, even if you use the slider.

WAF factor still low I'm afraid!

jvb

Portal Member
February 15, 2005
UK
Something about the series "Lost"?

With more recent versions of MP the problem I reported seems to have got less frequent, or even gone away. Until, that is, I tried to record the second episode of Lost series 2.

Lost series 1 was one of the worst WAF experiences - nearly every recording would 'hang' with a frozen frame or black screen at some point. The logo bit (the black screen with the rotating word Lost) strangely, never ever played smoothly.

Now, Lost is back on Tv, and lo and behold, the recording hung at the Lost logo!

Anybody else recording Lost on DVB-T in the UK with similar experiences?

jvb

Portal Member
February 15, 2005
UK
Episode 3 of Lost - same thing happened again. This time I was watching on my non-MP TV, and sure enough after the Lost logo I checked MP and the TV was now showing a black screen. I left it a while and then stopped the recording. The dvr-ms file was not updated after the point where it started to go wrong, although the file is listed in MP as being the full length I recorded. I've checked the logs, nothing obvious there.

Am I the only person with this problem? Or is this the greatest mystery in the programme - why won't it record!

Here's my support info:

Area: My TV
MP Version: 0.2.0.0 RC4 CVS of 06/05/2006
Skin: mce
Windows Version: XP Home SP2
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 2800+
Memory: 512Mb PC3200
Motherboard Chipset: Biostar 210P SFF
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9250
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 5.11 (display driver version 6.14.10)
Video Card Resolution: Any, e.g. 720*576
Video Render Type: Problem occurs with any render type
Video Codec Type & Version: problem occurs with any codec, e.g. mpv
Audio Codec Type & Version: mpa
TV Card: Hauppague WinTV Nova-T (newer version)
TV Card Type: DVB
TV Card Driver: 2.1

benwatt

Portal Member
January 23, 2006
Ah, good - somebody else with the exact same problem as me ;)

I too recorded Lost Episode 1 just fine via DVB-T, didn't record the second episode - but when I recorded the third the other night it got stuck when the Lost logo came up.

Seems to be a problem with large amounts of black on the screen, because the exact same problem reared its ugly head last night when I tried to record an episode of NYPD Blue - got about half the episode and then when a completely black screen was shown for a second before the adverts it froze, and just recorded sound for the rest of the episode.

Possibly some codec interfering I guess? I remember that VLC media player used to have a habit of crashing when a completely black screen was displayed.

Area: My TV
MP Version: 0.2.0.0 RC4 CVS 05-07-2006--01-05
Skin: Default
Windows Version: XP Professional SP2
CPU Type: Pentium 4 650 - 3.4Ghz
Memory: 2Gb DDR2 PC2-5300
Motherboard Chipset: Abit AA8-3rd Eye
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 GT
Video Card Driver: 84.20
Video Card Resolution: 1280x1024
Video Render Type: VMR9
Video Codec Type & Version: Nvidia PureVideo Latest
Audio Codec Type & Version: Nvidia
TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-900
TV Card Type: Hybrid - Analogue / DVB-T
TV Card Driver: 2.4 & 2.5b

jvb

Portal Member
February 15, 2005
UK
I downloaded the build from yesterday (13th June) and recorded it last night whilst watching it. Sure enough, about 10 minutes in when the Lost logo is displayed (white moving text on a black background) then it stuttered and the screen went black.
Weird!

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    jvb said:
    I downloaded the build from yesterday (13th June) and recorded it last night whilst watching it. Sure enough, about 10 minutes in when the Lost logo is displayed (white moving text on a black background) then it stuttered and the screen went black.
    Weird!

Hi,
    Can you post your error.log & mediaportal.log to MP Pastebin after an error like that?

Regards
    Roy

jvb

Portal Member
    February 15, 2005
    UK
    I meant to, unfortunately I restarted MP to restart the recording before I thought of it! Ill do it next time Lost is on. Incidentally we just watched the recording (in 2 parts) and at the end there is another black screen with a white Lost logo on it, and it hung again!

I'll try to grab a log next time its on.

benwatt

Portal Member
    January 23, 2006
    I noticed a lot of fixes over this weekend, some of which although specifically aimed at the dropping TV signal bug, sounded like they might resolve the problems we've had recording episodes of Lost (and other TV programmes with black screens showing for a short time).

Sure enough, I'm really pleased to report that I recorded my first complete episode of Lost in weeks this evening without any problems! I'm going to record a few more to see if it was a fluke, but so far so good.

If it helps, when watching it live I would see the Lost logo, and then get the message that the TV signal had been lost (how funny). I then would just see a black screen until I turned on and off the My TV area. When checking a recording I would often get video and sound up until that point, and then just a black screen but sound for the rest of the episode.

This time things went relatively smoothly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom