Blow WindowPlugins.dll to separate plugin DLLs (1 Viewer)

esas

Portal Pro
November 14, 2006
Home Country
Norway Norway
This is nothing against this change from my perspective as a developer. It is a good thing to split the plugins into assemblies (heck you are trying to make MP1 more like MP2 ) - but it is really late in the life cycle, that's where the troubles come from.
I think MP1 will live, and be maintained for many years to come, and this is a welcomed change because it may decrease startup time and the code is more manageable.

For a user who does not use the latest version, there will also be no impact, beyond them not being able to use the latest version of plugins. I would hope that if they are happy with their old version of MP, they will be equally happy with the older versions of plugins.
Amen. If users want to run old software they are welcomed to do so, but they can't expect the same support anymore. My two cents...

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Interesting if we could also i.e. delay plugins Init or load those who dont do any background work on demand.
    Could be another startup time decreasing.
    Or Init=load assembly and they should be loaded at startup?

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is nothing against this change from my perspective as a developer. It is a good thing to split the plugins into assemblies (heck you are trying to make MP1 more like MP2 ) - but it is really late in the life cycle, that's where the troubles come from.
    I think MP1 will live, and be maintained for many years to come, and this is a welcomed change because it may decrease startup time and the code is more manageable.

For a user who does not use the latest version, there will also be no impact, beyond them not being able to use the latest version of plugins. I would hope that if they are happy with their old version of MP, they will be equally happy with the older versions of plugins.
    Amen. If users want to run old software they are welcomed to do so, but they can't expect the same support anymore. My two cents...
    While i myself would agree i don't think the actual average user base would ( i thought the idea was to gain more users not lose them ).

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    While i myself would agree i don't think the actual average user base would ( i thought the idea was to gain more users not lose them ).

Well, we simply don't have the resources to support multiple versions of MP.

The alternative, taken to extremes, would be to not provide new and improved versions of MP in case we break something. We have to move forward.

If some people want to stick with older versions, I would hope that would not reduce our user base, although fragmentation is a problem.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    These users who doesn't want to update, are they aware how easy it is now to update? In the past, I always felt like it was a gamble of sorts to update, but now I feel almost a bit too safe, lol.

Emph

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    On with the new and leave the old behind I say. How do you create bigger and better things by sticking with the old. Also you won't be stuck with two of similar plugins if you prefer a 3rd party plugin. My videos and moving pictures as an example.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    On with the new and leave the old behind I say. How do you create bigger and better things by sticking with the old. Also you won't be stuck with two of similar plugins if you prefer a 3rd party plugin. My videos and moving pictures as an example.

Yes, we are making every effort to ensure that you won't need to have MyVideos enabled if you don't want to, and that the 3rd party plugins that use bits from it still work. There may be a few glitches in the first instance, particularly because the skins may expect the plugins to exist, but hopefully someone in the community will want to work with us to come up with a shiny new home screen concept to replace Classic/Basic Home and be fully configurable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom