Blow WindowPlugins.dll to separate plugin DLLs (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    so, this rework is not planned for 1.7 ?

That is what we are discussing. There are advantages and disadvantages.

It really would help if developers of some of the key plugins could give their opinions.

@offbyone
    @ltfearme
    @fforde

Please could you let us know what you think?

Last edited:

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Please see the internal forum thread about plugin compatibility stuff

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't think it is the plugin devs opinion you need. It's more about the users. Active plugin devs can release a new version, since the change is not that big, most likely nothing to implement, only change references and recompile and release a new version. but this new version will only be compatible with new MP 1.7 then. And I will not maintain two branches. I have seen many questions by users that they are using old MP version and want to know how to run latest OnlineVideos on it. So in the end you are only annoying the users and forcing them to update. But many older non-maintained plugins are used by the users and that is why many don't like updating, as on of their used plugins is no longer available then.
    Personally, I don't care if it's included or not. As said I am no longer taking active part in MP1 development, so as plugin dev I will update OV and do a new release.
    As a user I'd ask: WHY the hell do you break plugin compatibility for no reason? All I see is that there are more dlls, but no added benefit for me ;)

Note to seco:
    This is nothing against this change from my perspective as a developer. It is a good thing to split the plugins into assemblies (heck you are trying to make MP1 more like MP2 ;) ) - but it is really late in the life cycle, that's where the troubles come from.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I don't think it is the plugin devs opinion you need. It's more about the users. Active plugin devs can release a new version, since the change is not that big, most likely nothing to implement, only change references and recompile and release a new version. but this new version will only be compatible with new MP 1.7 then. And I will not maintain two branches. I have seen many questions by users that they are using old MP version and want to know how to run latest OnlineVideos on it. So in the end you are only annoying the users and forcing them to update. But many older non-maintained plugins are used by the users and that is why many don't like updating, as on of their used plugins is no longer available then.
    Personally, I don't care if it's included or not. As said I am no longer taking active part in MP1 development, so as plugin dev I will update OV and do a new release.
    As a user I'd ask: WHY the hell do you break plugin compatibility for no reason? All I see is that there are more dlls, but no added benefit for me ;)

Note to seco:
    This is nothing against this change from my perspective as a developer. It is a good thing to split the plugins into assemblies (heck you are trying to make MP1 more like MP2 ;) ) - but it is really late in the life cycle, that's where the troubles come from.

From the perspective of a user who is running the latest version of MP, they will simply see an update available and will be able to update in one click. There should be no significant impact.

For a user who does not use the latest version, there will also be no impact, beyond them not being able to use the latest version of plugins. I would hope that if they are happy with their old version of MP, they will be equally happy with the older versions of plugins.

Clearly you are saying that this is not the case, and users want the new version of plugins to work on old versions of MP. I guess how you respond to that is up to you.

Regarding the benefits of this for users and for plugin developers, @seco would have to answer that question.

Please bear in mind that we are asking these questions because we want to make the right decision about whether and when to include this fix.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    I know many MP1 users that always want the latest plugin versions but not necessarily the latest MP due to bugs etc, i am sure they would not be happy if they got stuck on current versions of plugins particularly if new features were added to those plugins.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    We bump MP.Plugins* in 1.7 Pre and see what happens, thats it. Maybe gather list to one place about incompatibility issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom