Blu-ray playback (1 Viewer)

raf

Portal Pro
January 23, 2005
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I know there are a couple of plugins allowing you to use external players to play blu-ray discs but as it is possible in MP to simply select an external DVD player to play a DVD disc when inserted surely it must be just as easy to implement the same when a blu-ray disc is inserted and not have the need for another plugin?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I know there are a couple of plugins allowing you to use external players to play blu-ray discs but as it is possible in MP to simply select an external DVD player to play a DVD disc when inserted surely it must be just as easy to implement the same when a blu-ray disc is inserted and not have the need for another plugin?

Using 3rd party plugin is as good as native MP code. So it doesn't make sense to include that functionality into MP itself (having the plugin as separate from MP is actually a benefit as that way the plugin can be updated more often than MP release cycle would allow.).

raf

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Using 3rd party plugin is as good as native MP code. So it doesn't make sense to include that functionality into MP itself (having the plugin as separate from MP is actually a benefit as that way the plugin can be updated more often than MP release cycle would allow.).
    I wish that was the case as the plugin to use PowerDVD is broken ATM it's not working in 1.1 beta because Multishortcut plugin doesn't work, the functionality is already there surely it's a very easy change to make in the code for MP to recognise a Blu-ray or HD-DVD as it does a DVD and if you have an external player selected to play DVD's it plays in the external player

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I wish that was the case as the plugin to use PowerDVD is broken ATM it's not working in 1.1 beta because Multishortcut plugin doesn't work, the functionality is already there surely it's a very easy change to make in the code for MP to recognise a Blu-ray or HD-DVD as it does a DVD and if you have an external player selected to play DVD's it plays in the external player

MP already recognises Blu-ray & HD DVD disks. It sends a message to interested 3rd party plugins to allow they to handle disk as they see better. Please ask the 3rd party plugin author to solve the current issues.

We definately don't want to add any extra plugins to our source code base, as the required maintenance work will slow down the actual MP developement (we have externalised quite many previously native plugins during few last years as we don't have enough people to do the maitenance work).

raf

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    MP already recognises Blu-ray & HD DVD disks. It sends a message to interested 3rd party plugins to allow they to handle disk as they see better. Please ask the 3rd party plugin author to solve the current issues.

We definately don't want to add any extra plugins to our source code base, as the required maintenance work will slow down the actual MP developement (we have externalised quite many previously native plugins during few last years as we don't have enough people to do the maitenance work).

I understand what you say regarding adding plugins to the source code but that functionality is already in the code for DVD's and you say MP already recognises Blu-ray/HD-DVD's so I would think very minimal extra code would be required.

I find it interesting that you say MP recognises Blu-ray/HD-DVD and sends a message for plugins as both plugins require input from the user to tell it a disk is in the drive.

Anyway thanks for your comments and time.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I understand what you say regarding adding plugins to the source code but that functionality is already in the code for DVD's and you say MP already recognises Blu-ray/HD-DVD's so I would think very minimal extra code would be required.

it is not enough just to open the application, more steps are required (in future for example the Arcsoft player plugin should start to support all remotes that MP itself support and this complicates the plugin a lot. Making the mantenance and release cycle dependencies pretty ugly).

I find it interesting that you say MP recognises Blu-ray/HD-DVD and sends a message for plugins as both plugins require input from the user to tell it a disk is in the drive.

What both plugins? At least the Arcfsoft Blu-ray / HD DVD plugin works nicely with the disk insertion messages (it should as I did write it and the MP side that handles the notifications :)).

raf

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    What both plugins? At least the Arcfsoft Blu-ray / HD DVD plugin works nicely with the disk insertion messages (it should as I did write it and the MP side that handles the notifications :)).

I only used the Arcsoft plugin when I had a trial version of the software but I'm sure then, I might be wrong, you had to run the plugin when a disc was inserted MP didn't pick it up and either run or ask to run the plugin, but as you wrote you'd know :), again thanks for your time.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

I only used the Arcsoft plugin when I had a trial version of the software but I'm sure then, I might be wrong, you had to run the plugin when a disc was inserted MP didn't pick it up and either run or ask to run the plugin, but as you wrote you'd know :), again thanks for your time.

It might have been some earlier version (as not all versions of that plugin are supporting autoplay). btw. that plugin should work as well with PowerDVD. If PoweDVD itself works natively with the remote you are using.

raf

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    It might have been some earlier version (as not all versions of that plugin are supporting autoplay). btw. that plugin should work as well with PowerDVD. If PoweDVD itself works natively with the remote you are using.

Yes I've just tried the latest version of your Arcsoft plugin, put the PowerDVD exe location where the arcsoft exe is supposed to go and it seems to run fine, thanks very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom