Blue Screens of Death <Insert Dramatic Music Here> (1 Viewer)

scootabug

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
I had the same problem on my second machine, running very similar specs, problem vanished when I changed video card from mx440 to fx5200.

Thanks for that comment. Gives me some hope. I still haven't had the chance to give it a go, but before long I will and I'll let you know how I go.

This machine originally had a nVidia TNT Vanta in it, and it wouldn't do a thing. If I recall, MP wouldn't even open - that's when I put in the GeForce MX400. Might be time to try something a little more up-market!

Cheers,
Scoota

i.thompson

October 24, 2005
Hi

I am new to MP as well,

I have a Compro Videomate T300 that behaves badly with MP 2.0.0 RC1

But works perfectly well with the Compro software. latest version (except for teletext which has gone AWOL.

Reading the forums

You should be using 1.3.0 for stability with DVB-T

I am affraid I am a glutton for punishment.

If frodo is reading this is one the best Media Centre Projects I have seen. Even if it is a bit flakey

Thought you might like to know certain TV broadcasts are not picked up duning autotune like TText Holidays (UK service)
Media Portal appears to use more processing power than the Compro Programs.

Sorry if this is windy but should help you.

scootabug

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
Hey guys. Good to see this topic is relatively alive given the circumstances.

I completely uninstalled my MP install, since i'd lost touch with the TV tuner altogether. Installed MP 2.0.0 RC1 and it seems the tuner is back in action.

Tonite I have put a Gigabyte GV-R955128DE 8x AGP card in, which uses the ATi Radeon 9550 chipset. I actually managed to start a DVD, and it was playing (woo!), no BSOD. Started into the My TV and it actually brought up SBS immediately, let it run for a minute or so with great success. Tried to launch into fullscreen mode - 0x00000C5. Bugger!

Make sure your motherboard drivers are up to date. I had the same problem until I updated my NForce drivers.

Thanks for the hot tip talos. That hadn't occurred to me yet. I'll give it a shot.

works perfectly well with the Compro software

I have had the same experience. I wouldn't mind so much just using the Compro software, but when you consider all that MP has to offer - we call become glutton for punishment!

You should be using 1.3.0 for stability with DVB-T

In the back of mind I kept thinking of using the older version - but as a general rule newer seems to be better. After I flog the dead horse with v2.0.0 RC1, I'll definitely go back to 1.3.0 and try my luck.

Updates on my BSODs:

• Seems to happen trying to switch into fullscreen mode
    Occurred when trying to change channels
    Occurred when trying to turn "My TV" off
    Occurred when click Close after finished tuning channels
    Occurring a randomly

wiggums

Portal Member
June 25, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Hey I have the same problem.
The later CVS's from about late august on from version 1.3 caused media portal to BSOD whenever I finished a recording.
The problem has been persistant with 2.0RC1 also. From what I have read on the forums I believe its something to do with the new .ts file format they are using. There have been significant warnings about using 2.0RC1 with a DVB-T card so I wasn't going to post about it - yet.

I'm using 1.3 with CVS dated 19th Aug - it has a few annoying bugs in it like the tv guide returns to the current day after you exit a recording setup for a program on another day , but nothing I can't live without. Oh and recording 2 stations at once with 2 cards seems to not work either.
Hopefully the highly anticipated 2.0RC2 will fix the DVB-T capture probs.

wiggums

Portal Member
June 25, 2005
Sydney, Australia
tourettes said:
BSOD are almost always caused by buggy drivers or faulty hardware.

If that was the case why would the CVS's fix the problem for some people? And why is my system running well under 1.3??
I think that you statement is not entirely true. I have seen many cases where software has caused a BSOD on normally well running platforms. In fact in my 10 years in the IT game I would say that I have seen software cause more BSOD's than hardware faults - but perhaps thats just me.

Interesting definition here, no mention of hardware or drivers:
(http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gci212182,00.html)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom