Blue3 5:4 ratio? (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

Is there anyone that can explain to me why Blue3 uses a 5:4 ratio instead of the expected 4:3?

all backgrounds have a size of 720x576.
576 / 720 = 0,8 (= 5:4 ratio)
The screensize I use for MP is 1024x768
768 / 1024 = 0,75 (= 4:3 ratio)

I believe the actual positioning and stuff is calulated from the largest image (in this case 720x576). I'm not really sure about this though.
I do know this doesn't make sense for me at least :)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Mr.BlueSky is correct. MediaPortal, being it started its life in Europe, is Pal TV-based.

Most computer systems will stretch the aspect to fit full screen on whichever resolution you are running. That is why there are separate GUI and video screen set-ups in the settings screen ... so you can make any small adjustments for aspect, overscan and such when displaying to a TV for whichever TV system you are using (PAL or NTSC or other).

If you want an exact screen dimension, you can delve into xml editing and change the display resolution and x,y position of all the elements displayed (there are a lot of xmls to change). I've started (and am moving at glacial speeds) a 4x3 aspect skin designed for an 800x600 display on the pc to NTSC TV (thru a PC to TV converter) for my own setup.

regards,

Chuck

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, this starts to make sense now.

I noticed setting up this system (first one I ever did hooked up to an old analog tv) the stretching of the picture did indeed only show after a screen calibration of CCC (ATi panel) kinda forgot about that :)
    Does this have any serious consequences or stuff I have to keep my eyes on when doing skinning myself?
    We (Blue3++) are experiencing some problems which has no real connections with this particular question but you never know.

We have issues working with videoOverlay controls not showing sometimes on one system and showing on another. The videoOverlay is tricky anyways, have problems with it constantly.
    Should read up about this. Should look more in the manual (someone was talking about something he read somewhere, didn't say where though...) and will do that tonight if time.
    Anybody a direct link for useful info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom