Bluescreens and MP crashes with new SSD (1 Viewer)

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

just switched my Client1 from HDD to a Cruical M3 (FW 000F) 60GB SSD and Win7 64Bit Home Premium. Using MP 1.2.3. with this system, it leads per 3h usage in the mean to

- 1-2 Bluescreens with System restart
    - 1-2 closures of MP itself without any message or warning

I don't know what to add here that could be helpful. Hope that anybody has an idea how to improve this behaviour. I'm quite disappointed with the new hardware so far.

Cheers

henning

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A Crucial M3 shouldn't cause an issues. I recommend them a lot for friends for their MediaCenter. To my experience they don't show the Sandforce problem a lot of people experienced last year. If you have a Marvell and Intel SATA chips on board connect the SSD to the Intel one. It's faster.

Can you give me the details of the BlueScreen?

Also you might simply suffer from a defective SSD in regards to the memory chips. It's known to happen quite often in the last 12 months since HDD prices went up and SDD prices went down. Manufactures start to push out more low quality chips to keep up with the demand.

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanx for your answers.

atlantic: IDE disables TRIIM, doesn't it? And as far as I understand out of your posting, you also recommend AHCI. Sorry my French isn't good enough to understand your post and all the link's content. So why should I disable AHCI?

Scythe42: I will check the controller type of my Dell Optiplex755. How can I get more info about the BlueScreen? It disappears after a very short time and the PC restarts.

Cheers

henning

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Keep AHCI on!

To disable automatic reboots after a BSOD:

control panel -> system and security -> system -> advanced system settings -> startup and recovery settings -> uncheck 'auto restart' box.

There will be an error message with a longer hex string that indicates where the error is coming from. I expect the SATA or AHCI driver, but you never know. This line will be enough. All the registers are not needed.

atlantic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2008
    Rennes
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanx for your answers.

atlantic: IDE disables TRIIM, doesn't it? And as far as I understand out of your posting, you also recommend AHCI. Sorry my French isn't good enough to understand your post and all the link's content. So why should I disable AHCI?

henning

Of course, if you disabled AHCI, the TRIM doesn't work.
    But it's just a test. If you don't have BSD with AHCI disabled that means that your Seven's AHCI driver is not correctly installed.

Your french is not good? My english too!!! ;)

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, understand your intention :) Will try it and give feedback. Today after 3h Mediaportal there was no BSOD at all o_O In principle I should be happy about it, but right now I'm not...

@Skythe42: Changed the setting and am waiting for BSOD(s).

atlantic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2008
    Rennes
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok, understand your intention :) Will try it and give feedback. Today after 3h Mediaportal there was no BSOD at all o_O In principle I should be happy about it, but right now I'm not...
    When you installed your ssd, did you do a fresh install of seven or did you do a ghost install of your old hard drive?
    A fresh install is the best.

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Fresh and brandnew SSD with brandnew Win7 :) Maybe everything was so brandnew that it has to mature al little bit :rolleyes:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had the same issue, regular BSOD with reference to the disk. I found out the the SATA cable did not clip onto the SSD and it lost its contact every once in a while. So I fixed the cable to the SSD with some adhesive tape and now it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom