Bluetooth remote control using Sony Ericsson phone - anyone interested? (1 Viewer)

MikeGTi

Portal Member
March 23, 2008
What bluetooth dongle/adapter have you got?.

I couldnt tell you mate, its just a dongle i had lying around and it doesnt say anything on it apart from bluetooth.....

I did try Bluetooth Remote Control from Blueshareware.com earlier and that worked but it was only a trial program. I dont know if that helps determine where the problem is....

Here is a screenshot of the options tab

MikeGTi

Portal Member
March 23, 2008
Thanks for your help, I will have a read through that link....

If i was to try and find the driver cd that came with the dongle would that make any difference at all?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I tried this yesterday and all worked well.
    I use the standard MS drivers in Vista (IE, I didn't use any extra disks or anything, windows just did its own thing).

I think you also need to make sure the dongle supports the Remote service, but the fact the phone asks permission seems to indicate it does.

I have no other ideas, sorry...

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I tried this yesterday and all worked well.
    I use the standard MS drivers in Vista (IE, I didn't use any extra disks or anything, windows just did its own thing).

I think you also need to make sure the dongle supports the Remote service, but the fact the phone asks permission seems to indicate it does.

I have no other ideas, sorry...

See, from my understanding, bluetooth (what it is actually does) is purely software, so technically a bluetooth dongle can support all the bluetooth profiles, so long as it has the right software/drives for it.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Different BT dongles support different services. Mine doesn't support LAN sharing, so my BT PDA cannot use it to browse the web.
    Other makes can though.

I think this is mostly determined by the BT drivers that come with it.
    Mine uses the basic MS stack and MS have pretty much hobbled this, since they never really wanted BT to catch on. MS aren't too enthusiastic about standards they didn't create themselves.

If you look at packages for BT dongles, they always list the supported services they have. You'll find they are not always the same.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Different BT dongles support different services. Mine doesn't support LAN sharing, so my BT PDA cannot use it to browse the web.
    Other makes can though.

Mine uses the basic MS stack and MS have pretty much hobbled this, since they never really wanted BT to catch on. MS aren't too enthusiastic about standards they didn't create themselves.

If you look at packages for BT dongles, they always list the supported services they have. You'll find they are not always the same.

See I have learnt that the services are totally dependant on the bluetooth software on the device that is bluetooth enabled (in this case a computer)......and in the case of the of the Phone, it would be the phone software.

...so therefore it doesn't matter what bluetooth dongle you have, the services you can use are dependant on the software installed on the pc. To demonstrate this, if you installed a Bluetooth stack such as BlueSoleil (bloatware - i dont suggest installing this), you would be able to use the LAN service.

There is a bluetooth stack called WidComm (or Broadcomm - one company took over another...so not exactly sure which one its called). This stack is an extension of the microsoft stack and works "ontop" of it providing extra bluetooth profiles. This is what i use, and if your dongle/bluetooth works with the microsoft stack, i suggest you try the widcomm stack, although it may not work if it is not officially supported.

Have a look at the link i posted earlier.

[I could be totally wrong though... :p]

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Mine uses the basic MS stack and MS have pretty much hobbled this, since they never really wanted BT to catch on.

...See I have learnt that the services are totally dependant on the bluetooth software on the device that is bluetooth enabled (in this case a computer)......and in the case of the of the Phone, it would be the phone software.

yep, that's pretty much what I said :)
    The Widcom drivers that I found seem to need a license key or are bound to certain hardware. They would not work with my dongle despite me trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom