Tools and other software Bluray encryption (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Can someone please finally clear up for me how they watch Blurays in MP?? Ive had a bluray player built into my htpc for the last few years now, but its been a massive waste of money so far as there doesnt seem to be a reliable way of bypassing the discs encryption for watching through the MP native bluray plugin.

Ive tried various free decrypting tools such as BDFree, but theyre either unreliable or their keys library quickly becomes outdated meaning that i cant play newer discs.

Surely the general consensus isnt to pay a yearly license fee to a company like DVD Fab for their bluray software? That seems totally ridiculous, why isnt watching a bluray as straight forward as watching a DVD through htpcs??

Thanks in advance

tony3ridge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are a couple of options available.You can use power DVD or arcsoft total media theatre, both these programs are useable in mediaportal, however it will cost you for a licence key.if you want to watch blu ray without paying for a licence you can download dvd pass key lite, this program decrypts on the fly and does work for most blurays, although at the moment you can only watch the main feature, not the extras

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the reply. I thought that pass key lite was unsupported now? I was using it for a while, but its one of the tools that i found a bit unreliable in the end. I did muck about with power dvd and arcsoft, but again youd have to fork out for software in the first place.

Im not a tightwad by any means, but i just begrudge having to pay for something which should ideally work out of the box as DVD's do!

tony3ridge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was using pass key lite, but as you say it is unreliable.I did splash out some years ago on arcsoft total media, there is a great plugin that works well in mediaportal and I use that.You are right that bluray should work straight out of the box, but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon:(

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Yeah i played around with the Arcsoft plugin, but it was in its earlier stages and i went a different route at the time. Thanks for the info, been trying to get a straight answer for ages and thats cleared it up for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom