'Blurry' tv quality (de-interlace problem?) after upgrade to RC2 (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm so totally lost atm that i hope someone can point me in some direction where to look.

Here's the problem:
    I've upgraded to RC2 last weekend. Before the upgrade things were running pretty smooth except for some freezing picture problems while watching tv, but that looks to be a HDD problem under Vista (when the picture freezes i hear the HDD spin off).

After the install of RC2 everything works great again except for the TV picture quality. The problem is really good visible when i'm watching RTL7 (for the Dutchies) or CNBC / Bloomberg, because those channels have the scrollbar on the bottom. So, the picture quality is pretty good, but the scrollbar are kinda 'blurry'. I also had this problem with the RC1 version, but after using the PowerDVD 8 SP Video decoder, it was gone and the scrollbars were very good readable. So i configured all codecs the same way i had when i was using RC1 but the scrollbars still look blurry / fading and i'm almost getting drunk trying to read them :confused:.

I've tried different codecs (ffdshow / MPV / PDVD8) but the result stays the same. when using ffdshow i've also enabled / disabled every option i was using (Blur & NR, Sharpen, Resize & Aspect). Tried using VMR9 and EVR, no difference between those. Tried all deinterlace mode options, but that also didn't work.

Current TV codec configuration (which was the same i was using on RC1):

MPEG-2 Video decoder: Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8)
    H.264 Video decoder: CoreAVC Video Decoder
    Audio decoder: Cyberlink Audio Decoder (PDVD8)
    LATM AAC audio decoder: MONOGRAM AAC Decoder
    Audio renderer: Realtek HDMI Output (ATI HDMI)
    Deinterlace mode: Best

Since i'm no expert with those settings i hope someone has any idea how i can sharpen up the image so that the scrollbars look good and sharp again and if i'm looking in the wrong direction.
    And off course if someone knows the solution for the picture freezes which are (for about 90% sure) produced by HDD activity under Vista, i would be really happy 2 !!

Tnx in advance!

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I also have the picture freeze, or that the picture freezes for a while and then starts moving again. I also use Vista.

When the stop-move-stop got to a point is became very anoying, I hit ctrl-allt-del and had a look at the processes and services that were running. What I found was that the SQLservice used allmost 1GB of my RAM. Turning the service off and on again did certainly help to let the picture move smoothly again.

So some how the SQL is eating away on RAM, is there a way to stop this and prevent the stuttering of the TV picture (the stuttering was not limited to one channel, it appeared on all channels)

Further I would allso like to know the best way to get rid of this blurring when there is a lot of horizontal movement in the picture. It really seems to have worsened after upgrading to RC2. I use Cyberlink PDVD8 codecs for all TV formats, AC3filter for audio, output to my TV is on 720P, using the on bord radeon Xpress 1250 video card(not the best graphics card, I know) 1080i is worse then 720P on my TV (4 year old HD ready JVC 32S60 LCD)

Thanks anyways

Lots

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OK, thanks!, that helped a lot.

Note that you must open the sql server manager studio as administrator in Vista, otherwise it wont execute the change.

Lots

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OK, this is very weird... I kinda remembered that reinstalling MP helped me out with RC1 with the de-interlacing problem so i thought i could give that a try after backupping all my settings and dB's, and what do you think?

After a re-install with EXACTELY the same settings and codecs (left them all on the box, just clean MP install) the quality is WAY better then it was and the scrollbar are clear and bright again... Looks that some settings don't get stored well or something because i can't figure out why it works now and not before.

Anyways.... this problem is "fixed" ;)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think i've found the solution for my freezing problem. Vista turns of the HDD's after 20 mins. You can disable this in Advanced Power Settings.

Start --> Control Panel --> System and Maintenance --> Power Options

Click on "Change plan settings" for the plan selected by you.
    Turn of display --> NEVER
    Put the computer to sleep --> NEVER

Click "Change advanced power settings" and open up the hard disk section.
    'Turn of harddisk after' and change that setting to never (reduce to 0, then it'll show up)

So far, so good here.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom