break out of kiosk? (1 Viewer)

jriker1

Portal Member
March 15, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm creating a MediaPortal appliance. windows 10, auto logs in, auto starts MP1, set to restart if fails, no exit from app button, always stay on top. any thoughts when i need to how i could break out of it? i cant even pull up task manager because it always stays in the foreground. thoughts how to break out to the desktop when i need to?

i have a thought. write a program that runs in the background, and when a usb stick is inserted, it kills the watchdog and MP. whatever the names of those apps are in task manager to kill. just one thought. another if there is a way to program a unused remote key to exit the program naturally.

thoughts?

thanks

JR

jriker1

Portal Member
March 15, 2016
Home Country
Thanks. Can i do that thru a remote? program a key thru MP? hope is to not have a keyboard. maybe i can script send an alt-f4 based on some trigger.

JR

jriker1

Portal Member
March 15, 2016
Home Country
I currently own two Xbox 360 remotes. Old white and newer black one. Both work minus the skip back and forward buttons. Ordering from eBay a HP MCE remote and maybe a Microsoft MCE original remote. Trying to get my remote to power on my NUC. None worked so far. If that helps. Not sure if MEdiaPortal has a way to remap keys and the like. Saw the remote area of the configuration but didn't understand it.

Note the keys that don't work do make noise in MP when pressed.

Thanks.

JR

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Trying to get my remote to power on my NUC. None worked so far.
    The ability to do this depends on several things, including:
    • how the remote control's receiver is connected to the PC
    • whether the motherboard's BIOS/EFI is configured to enable the receiver to wake the PC
    Not sure if MEdiaPortal has a way to remap keys and the like.
    It does.
    Mapping Buttons

Saw the remote area of the configuration but didn't understand it.
    I suggest you refer to the manual/wiki or ask specific questions so people here can advise.
    HID

Note the keys that don't work do make noise in MP when pressed.
    ...which suggests they're not configured to perform any action or some such other thing like that.

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    I have an Intel NUC 7i3BNK that is a built in IR receiver. Bios set to wake on S3,S4, S5. Which at the moment doesn't matter as the Intel receiver only supports like one IR command to turn the unit back on that I can only replicate with my old programmable remote. The Xbox remotes won't turn it on but will turn it off so ignoring that for now. At the moment trying to see how to use one of my existing keys to pass Alt-F4 to the unit so it will exit the app.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    At the moment trying to see how to use one of my existing keys to pass Alt-F4 to the unit so it will exit the app.
    The way you write this suggests that you're looking at it the wrong way.
    Instead of trying to get the remote to pass ALT-F4, I'd be selecting any unused/appropriate button on the remote and mapping it to perform MP's exit/close action.

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    Think we are saying the same thing. Either way I have no clue in this app how to do this but sounds like I'll have to find considerable time to figure it out. In Kodi the ability to map my buttons to a function in the app were pretty simple. Here I'm not seeing it clearly but may just be me. Thinking I just need to figure it out.

Thanks.

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom