Brother's PC waking randomly (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My brother has a Win 7 PC running MP, with a Hauppauge PCI dual tuner card and he's having a problem where it wakes up sometime during the night and apparently doesn't go back to sleep, as he only knows it's doing it because he finds it on when he gets up in the morning.

Powercfg /lastwake isn't very helpful as it just shows this, which seems to refer to an AMD component on the motherboard but maybe that's what his tuner card is connected to:

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_9608&SUBSYS_96011849&REV_00\3&267a616a&0&48
Friendly Name:
Description: PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Manufacturer: (Standard system devices)

I grabbed his MP logs as well, so hopefully there's something useful in them.

Oh, one other thing. I was doing a channel scan for him to update the channel list and found it wouldn't work on tuner 1 of the card, only on tuner 2. However, timeshifting starts normally on both tuners. Is this normal?

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    I didn't find any clue, why it should be tv service. Next time, when PC wake without clear reason, use command line and run command 'powercfg -lastwake'. You should get output as in attached image. After that it will be more clear, who is waking up PC.

Attachments

• powercfg_lastwake.png
      powercfg_lastwake.png
      33.9 KB

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I didn't find any clue, why it should be tv service. Next time, when PC wake without clear reason, use command line and run command 'powercfg -lastwake'. You should get output as in attached image. After that it will be more clear, who is waking up PC.

Thanks for taking a look. As I said, I've had him running powercfg /lastwake and the output hasn't proven very helpful. I've disabled TVService for a week (I told him he can re-enable it if there's something he desperately wants to record), as he says it doesn't happen every night anyway, so I'll check with him whether it's helped after then.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Maybe chipset or driver problem. But can you on brother's PC run also commands
    Code:
    powercfg -waketimers
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    powercfg -devicequery wake_programmable
    ? Maybe we found this waking device in some output. It is also possible to disable to wake up from this device.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks, I'll set him up with a batch file to run those commands and post the logs when I have them.

rudig

Portal Member
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Why not look in event log which event caused wake up. And are you sure it's not a wake up on LAN event that happens?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Why not look in event log which event caused wake up. And are you sure it's not a wake up on LAN event that happens?

I'll check that thanks but I'm not sure it will show any more than powercfg does. I don't think it's a WoL event and over the past week, since disabling TV server, my brother says it's been a lot better but might have still woken once, so it seems to be a combination of things.

Anyway, he's re-enabled TV server now to do some recording but after Christmas I'll do some more diagnostics.

darkside40

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2009
    Ruhrgebiet
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Look into the extended setting of you Network Adapter. For example all of my PC's with an Realtek Adapter had an Option named Wake on pattern match activated. That leaded to a behavior where the PC's randomly woke up without any reason. Deactivated it now everything is okay.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, I've updated him to MP v1.10.0, checked his NIC (there's no Pattern Match option unfortunately, only Magic Packet, which I believe needs to be enabled to prevent random traffic waking the PC) and set him up with a batch file to run

powercfg -lastwake >>lastwakelog.txt
    powercfg -waketimers >>lastwakelog.txt
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed >>lastwakelog.txt
    powercfg -devicequery wake_programmable >>lastwakelog.txt

Testing that returns:

Wake History Count - 0
    There are no active wake timers in the system.
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse (006)
    Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20

but obviously I'll have to wait for him to run into the problem and run it then to see if it shows anything useful.

At least updating to v1.10.0 fixed a problem he had where scanning for channels on the first tuner on his Hauppauge Nova-T 500 card didn't work, only on the second tuner, although both worked for timeshifting regardless :)

I've attached his initial logs for TV Server, which probably don't show anything useful but will at least serve as a baseline after updating.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Well so far my brother hasn't reported having this problem since updating to 1.10.0, so fingers crossed it's fixed now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom