BT Sport (UK Users) (2 Viewers)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Does anyone know if the new BT Sport channels will be able to be integrated into MP?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/10046320/BT-Sport-channel-broadband-takes-on-TV.html

The details are a bit vague, but it looks like customers will normally be able to pick the channels up via a BT set-top box over their broadband connection. Does this mean that MP's IPTV service will be able to handle the channels without the need for the set-top box?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does anyone know if the new BT Sport channels will be able to be integrated into MP?
    You may be able to use TV Server with the built in DVB-IP/IPTV tuner if they stream an MPEG 2 transport stream using RTSP, RTP, UDP or HTTP.
    Otherwise, OnlineVideos FTW.
    My question would be: authentication, how?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Yes, Onlinevideos would be a solution, however it would be nice if the channels were integrated with the TVGuide/EPG.

Authentication - Do you mean channel decryption?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Authentication - Do you mean channel decryption?
    Partially, yes... but in more general terms.
    For example, will it be like YouTube except you have to sign in.
    Will it be a general IPTV service with a subscription that you pay for, and encryption and set top boxes. People can sign up regardless of ISP.
    Or will it be a value-add-service for this one ISP. So you can get it free (or maybe subsidised) if you sign up for internet and/or phone with BT.
    There are lots of ways the service could be offered.
    Will have to wait and see...

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Yes like i said its all a bit vague at the moment, but what they have said is that its a free service for BT broadband customers, but that you will need to buy their set-top box for £199 if you want to watch the channels on TV.

There is a free app for watching the channels via internet though, or the channels can be received via aerial if you buy one of their 'cards' for £10.

All a bit confusing imo.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The details about it seem quite lacking which to me suggests it will be quite limited. I have seen that you can get this via sky and IPTV (although this looks to be only available to BT fibre subscribers) and then via the website. I would guess the web streaming might not be as good quality as the TV?

Not seen any reference to getting this via terrestrial though

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    I pretty much fall into that category. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    They are distributing via DVB-S, DVB-T and IPTV.

The IPTV will require equipment from BT all the others will be compatible with TV Server however the encryption will be an issue.

DVB-S = Not discussable but they are changing the encryption method and it may be some time before it is viewable.
    DVB-T = Will use the BT Vision platform which uses the same encryption as topupTV. You can get a CAM for this platform so will work with TV Server.
    IPTV = Depends on how they deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom