Budget HTPC recommendations? (1 Viewer)

glenb83

Portal Pro
April 24, 2009
Home Country
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my current htpc to something a bit more streamlined (nicer smaller case, less power use etc) and possibly powerful machine. My current system is an i3-2120 with a GT630 vga card and 4GB ram in a mini ATX tower case. I use it primarily for watching 720p video (occasionally 1080p and SD) and live TV, and I sometimes do light gaming with the my emulators plugin (dolphin and pcsx2 mostly).

I'm looking at upgrading to this slimline case, but still deciding on the hardware. At the moment I'm leaning towards an AMD A10-5800K cpu/gpu, with an Asrock FM2A75-Pro4-M motherboard, a Leadtek DTV 2000DS PCI tuner and reusing the RAM/bluray drive from the current setup, along with a molex to sata adaptor for the bluray drive.

Any thoughts on this system? Is it a good system for my use at a good price, or can I do better? My main concerns are:
-slim case
-low noise/power use
-decent performance for light gaming and good performance for all media
-no add-on VGA, onboard only
-PRICE! Less is best :D

Open to any suggestions!

Last edited:

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I cant seem to access the link.

My only suggestion re the CPU, see if you can get the A10 5700, it has the same GPU but is a 65 watt TDP rather than 100 Watt for the 5800K.
    With these CPU, RAM speed is very important and as the GPU shares the RAM it affects performance. I would not choose RAM slower than 1600 MHz.

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Also Ive read that the a85x motherboards are designed for the A10 cpu,where as the a75 motherboards such as you chose are for the A8 processors

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Also Ive read that the a85x motherboards are designed for the A10 cpu,where as the a75 motherboards such as you chose are for the A8 processors
    Good advice, I've changed the motherboard to an Asus F2A85-M-LE, and added Corsair 8GB kit (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz.

Sound like a good system now?

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Good advice, I've changed the motherboard to an Asus F2A85-M-LE, and added Corsair 8GB kit (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz.

Sound like a good system now?

Should do fine, just ensure you check the BIOS once the system is together as it may start the RAM in 1333MHZ and you will need to change.
    The system from guypetj above looks good for a client but I you are adding a tuner card etc I would go with what you have decided.
    Also the Asus motherboard has 2G shared memory with the GPU whereas the Asrock on has 512mb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom