[Bug) : External Media Player not getting film pathname when containing space chars (1 Viewer)

chano22000

Portal Member
April 28, 2009
Hi,

I just came back to Mediaportal and Myfilms which I left several years ago as they were really sluggish and buggy. Congratulations for the hard work since !

I use Media Player Classic Home-Cinema + LAV + MadVR + MPC-BE Wasapi Audio Renderer (the MPC HC one is buggy) as a player because of MadVR superior rendering compared to EVR (smooth motion, calibration, scaling ...)

I have followed the instructions from the MyFilms Wiki (nice documentation) and filled the 3 fields accordingly (unfortunately, no balloon help on these fields - so I may have missed something)
First Field : path to MPC-HC
Second field : %filename%
Third field : mkv

"DB Field for Movie Source info" is set as "source". The database field contains the absolute path to the film which is stored on a NAS (//share/...)

I haven not filled anything in the Video section of the MePo options.

Whith this settings, MPC-HC is launched when selecting a film with an mkv extension within Myfilsms in MePo, but MPC-HC does not open the film. Closing MPC-HC brings back where MPC-HC was launched to MePo.

Q1 : what should I do for the filename to be passed and handled by MPC-HC (MPC-HC film as a command line opens "film") - Log seems normal (or an hidden issue if the string is not quoted as there are space chars in the path)

Q2 : for several extensions to be handled by MyFilms, what is the right syntax : .mkv, .mp4 or mkv ; mp4 or ?? - should I use the corresponding section in MePo option ?

Do you confirm that the way MyFilms launches an external player does not prevent the player bypassing MePo audio and video renderer ?

Thank you for your help.

(PS : Everything is fine whith internal player)

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi chano22000 - welcome back ;) - yes MyFilms (and MP) have come a long way in the past few years! I cannot answer all your questions but:

no balloon help on these fields - so I may have missed something)
    There is balloon help - sometimes it is tricky to hover in just the right place for them to display :( For me, they work when I hover over the input box. However, I should add the details to the wiki in case others don't see the balloon tips - so thanks for pointing that out!

Q2 : for several extensions to be handled by MyFilms, what is the right syntax : .mkv, .mp4 or mkv ; mp4 or ?? - should I use the corresponding section in MePo option ?
    Correct syntax (according to the 'invisible' balloon tip (;)) is to use a semi-colon as separator.

It's a good question about MP Video settings - you may have to wait for @Guzzi. I know he has been really busy at work these days but hopefully he will get a chance to look at your log and reply soon. TIP - whenever you submit logs it is usually helpful to enable Log Verbosity = Debug in MP Config General Settings. Guzzi might need more info to determine where your issue is occurring.

I use Media Player Classic Home-Cinema + LAV + MadVR + MPC-BE Wasapi Audio Renderer (the MPC HC one is buggy) as a player because of MadVR superior rendering compared to EVR (smooth motion, calibration, scaling ...)
    You might want to check out the quality of playback using the new MediaPortal Audio Renderer (MPAR), which supports WASAPI . There is a really good forum thread - Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration which includes info about MPAR settings

chano22000

Portal Member
    April 28, 2009
    Hi Dadeo,

Thanks for your answer. As you suggested, I have now attached the log file in "debug" mode for Guzzi.

It looks like the film path is not passed as an argument to the external player with quotes which is a problem since the film name contains space characters.

When manually lauched in the C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC directory, the command works :
    mpc-hc.exe "\\Mediaserver\Films\HDs\Les 101 dalmatiens (Clyde Geronimi)\Les 101 dalmatiens.1080p.mkv"

Kind regards.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Correct syntax (according to the 'invisible' balloon tip (;)) is to use a semi-colon as separator.

It's a good question about MP Video settings - you may have to wait for @Guzzi. I know he has been really busy at work these days but hopefully he will get a chance to look at your log and reply soon. TIP - whenever you submit logs it is usually helpful to enable Log Verbosity = Debug in MP Config General Settings. Guzzi might need more info to determine where your issue is occurring.
    There is actually two settings relevant:
    1.) MP video extensions - MF uses those too when doing "imports" to decide, if the respective file is a video/movie file.
    2.) MF extensions for external player - you can set extensions to let MyFilms automatically launch external player for only those - others would still use internal player.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi Dadeo,

Thanks for your answer. As you suggested, I have now attached the log file in "debug" mode for Guzzi.

It looks like the film path is not passed as an argument to the external player with quotes which is a problem since the film name contains space characters.

When manually lauched in the C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC directory, the command works :
    mpc-hc.exe "\\Mediaserver\Films\HDs\Les 101 dalmatiens (Clyde Geronimi)\Les 101 dalmatiens.1080p.mkv"

Kind regards.
    Hi chano22000, indeed, it seems the command line without quotes is causing issues in those cases. Should be an easy fix, could you please create an issue on google code, will fix this for next version. And sorry for the long delay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom