[BUG] FLAC tag import fails for readonly network location (1 Viewer)

Hesse

Portal Pro
August 8, 2006
MP v0.2.1.0

I have a samba network drive that has readonly access for other usernames on the network. The music files are in FLAC format and all are tagged with information MP can use (i.e. artist, album, etc).

When I perform an import with a computer that has readonly acess to that location, the files are imported into the database, but there is no tag information imported. Everything is blank, so it displays as unknown.

If I perform the same import on the computer that has write access to this drive location, then the files are imported correctly with all tag information.

MP shouldn't need write access to the drive simply to import tags, I wouldn't think. I only allow read access to client computers so there can't be any accidents!

Jesse

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Jesse,

interesting. The Tagreader does not modify anything.
    Is it just the FLAC format?
    Could you try for example with a mp3 file as well?
    Any error messages in Configuration.log?

thx,

Helmut

Hesse

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2006
    Helmut,

I only tried FLAC, I have some MP3 files that I can also try and will do that shortly.

I figured the tag reader didn't modify anything, that is why I was surprised that it didn't work :)

I'll also check the configuration.log file as you suggest.

Thanks,

Jesse

Hesse

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2006
    Ok, here is an update.

I tried some MP3 files, and their tags get imported correctly. It is on the same network share which is readonly for this particular computer.

The FLAC tags fail to get imported correctly, and there are many errors in the configuration.log file. For every .FLAC file, this is shown

Code:
    11/19/2006 9:03:06 AM 250 [Info.] Musicdatabasereorg: cannot get tag for \\NETWORKSHAREPATH\MUSICFILE.FLAC

where NETWORKSHAREPATH is the UNC path to the file and MUSICFILE.FLAC is the actual file name.

I'm pretty sure it used to work before, maybe in the 0.2.0.4 version because I've tested the import from that same location. I moved from .APE files to .FLAC because MP supported FLAC natively.

Jesse

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Jesse,

MediaPortal 0.2.1.0 still uses the old method to read Tags. This is done by executing Tag.exe.
    Looks like the problem is with that.
    The new Tagreader, as we have it currently in SVN shouldn't have this troubles.
    What you could do is to grab a nightly build and do a scan of your music.
    Then copy the Music Database to your 0.2.1.0 installation.

Doing that you'll take advantage of the new tagreader, while having the stability of 0.2.1.0

regards,

Helmut

Hesse

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2006
    Helmut,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a feeling it was something like that. I'll try it!

Jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom