Building a PC is not that hard... but a HTPC is a challenge! (1 Viewer)

Slack

Portal Member
January 26, 2005
NC, USA
I agree with jensnasholm.

Building a gaming rig / office pc is a no brainer. But an HTPC i quite a challenge. One I'm sure to relish (wallet permitting).

I'm just starting my hunt for parts. I also am going with the 6150 / 430 nVidia chipset. However I'm going with the Asus board for the DVI out.

Case-wise I've already oordered the DVine 5.

And I am looking at the FusionHDTV5 for HD capture.

jensnasholm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 21, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    knutinh...i did look at the seasonic PSUs as the reviews i have seen around the place is giving it good feedback...only issue for me is that they are extremely hard to get hold of in the land of hopping kangaroos and shark attacks... :wink:

The Zalmans on the other hand are available in most online shops down here...

thanks,
    jens

jensnasholm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 21, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    jawbroken... yes that's what i have found as well so the order is already in place...but the LC13 cases seems to be on backorder across sydney... so i guess the first build-up stage will occur in a card board box or similar!! :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback to everyone, and thanks to the MP team for a great product.

Cheers,
    Jens

PJ

Portal Member
    September 22, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    I'm a fellow Aussie (Melbourne). Thought I'd share my shopping list:

ASUS A8N CSM (6150 / 430 nVidia chipset)

Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+, either will be fine from what I've read

Silverstone LC16-M, best price I've found is http://www.hboutlet.com.au in Sydney, might want to have a look there for your case if you haven't already

I too am having trouble finding Seasonic PSU's down here. PC Case Gear sells them, but not the 330W. They've got the 430W but that's unneeded/wanted heat/noise. http://www.pccasegear.com

I'm going with 1GB ram, seems to be a popular choice although I'm sure people will say it's not required.

The Samsumg spinpoints are my choice too, 200/250 for data, and an 80 for the OS and apps.

Still haven't decided on a DVD yet, the NEC's are supposed to be quiet (but getting noisier in newer versions), the BenQ drives are supposed to be quiet too but they're not the easiest to find, haven't heard anything about the LG drives. I might look into a LightScribe enabled drive LG do those too.

I've already got a Fusion Lite but I'm thinking of replacing it with a Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT, if/when I can find one over here. Might have to get one sent to friends in the UK and get them to mail it over :?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    PJ said:
    haven't heard anything about the LG drives.
    I had an LG DVD writer and sent it back because it was too noisy (it always wanted to read CDs and DVDs at max speed when I as just listening/watching) and it would not respond to Nero's Drive Speed..... :(

PJ said:
    I've already got a Fusion Lite but I'm thinking of replacing it
    I am interested to know why you want to replace the Fusion Lite... :?

PJ

Portal Member
    September 22, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    I'm not necessarily going to replace the Fusion, maybe just extend with the Cinergy. I've been happy with the Fusion so far, I just like the sound of having 2 tuners on a single card.

The only reason I'd remove the Fusion would be for better airflow (one less card) if I can't find enough stuff worth recording to need 3 tuners. I'd also have to split the signal to feed both cards.

With the Cinergy I'd just need a single input to be able to record 2 channels, or watch one and record the other.

If anybody wants a single tuner I'd definately recommend the Fusion Lite.

In regards to the DVD, anybody know of a quiet LightScribe enabled drive? I'm having problems with warped discs at the moment using those wonderful sticky labels, or maybe it's just the discs themselves :?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    PJ said:
    With the Cinergy I'd just need a single input to be able to record 2 channels, or watch one and record the other.
    Another option you might want to consider (it could save you some money) is to get a DNTVLive! LP card (instead of the Cinergy), which has antenna pass-through built-in with no signal loss, so you can run both cards from the one aerial connection and thus keep your Fusion..... :D

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Or, if you are happy with the Fusion Lite, perhaps a Fusion Dual Digital?

PJ

Portal Member
    September 22, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Doesn't the Fusion Lite have pass through as well, maybe I'm wrong. I thought I tried it a while back but the signal was crappy. That's probably what you're talking about, the DNTV cards do it better.

How does the second tuner on the Fusion Dual Digital work? Looks like it uses either an internal or external USB connection.

I think I might just stick with the Cinergy, assuming I can get one sometime soon, and try to minimise the cable clutter. The PCI-e slot on the Asus A8N CSM board is on the far left so there'd be better airflow inside with a single PCI-e card.

I'll have another think about it, thanks for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom