Building a TV-Server for College (1 Viewer)

-=DeNMaN=-

Portal Member
November 9, 2006
Home Country
well.. im in a middle od getting a test TV-Server up and running on a old HP prolient server and need some help in finding some decent DVB-T cards..

I plan on streaming afew FTA channels and 1 or 2 of satalite channels from a set top box (nat geo & discovery) via line in if possible + atleast 1 FM tuner to stream JJJ or somthing around the campous

i would really like a card that is able to do this via hardware more then software.. does one exsist to work in Australia.. i have about 4 PCI expansion slots available

thanx in advance

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Do you plan on streaming all the channels at the same time?

If you want digital FTA, you'll need DVBT cards.

You'll need analogue/video capture cards for the sat channels from the STB. If you want to stream 2 or more channels at the same time, you'll need multiple STBs.

Many analogue cards come with FM tuner, but bear in mind MP's TV server does not stream FM tuner signals. If you ask me, its easier just to tune into Triple J's net stream if you have the net available 24/7.

The Dvico cards are probably the most common at the moment, http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/#dvbt

Each of the pro cards can give one DVBT channel, and one connection from the STB. Or you may consider the dual digital for two DVBT channels at the same time.

The DNTV Live! Hybrid LP S2 from http://www.digitalnow.com.au/dvbtcards.html also fits the bill, though I'm not sure about compatibility with MP. That has the added bonus of having FM support.

Otherwise, you can pick up analog cards pretty cheap these days, one for each STB; some have FM built in too.

HTH

Sam

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    the Huappage 150 and 500 MCE cards have hardware analogue support. You can get them for a reasonable price from www.cpl.net.au if you are in Melbourne.

The best solution I have found (on paper anyway, as I havne't bought one yet) is the digital now cards from DNTV. for $185 (from www.eyo.net.au or www.eyo.com.au -from memory here) you can get a PCIe card that has two digital and two analog tuners built in. Any combination of two tuners can be used at the same time, including AV in and radio.

Will be getting one soon but not sure if CIe is what you are looking for.
    For digital there is no need for any hardware accelleration, you only need that for analogue.

-=DeNMaN=-

Portal Member
    November 9, 2006
    Home Country
    i use Dvico cards @ home and they run quite well, but can be abit of a cpu hog with the BDA drivers from what i understand unless you use DxVA SW decoder with the fusionHDTV software..

and yes.. ill be streaming the FTA and SAT channels @ once.. i have 2x scsi 15k 32gig for timeshift to work with, so that should be ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom